'71 : Extreme Resto

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark-J

Reaction score
Just joined the site and thought I'd share a few pics..... We've had our '71 Bay for about 16years now, got married in him when knowbody thought vans were trendy, and a few years back treated him to a bit of a makeover!

From this:

IMG_0029.JPG.jpg

to this:

IMG_1338.JPG

Full pics links here. Anybody wanting to do a full bare metal restoration it's worth looking at for reference, it you've ever wondered whats behind every panel!

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/markj3d/VwRestoration?feat=directlink

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/markj3d/BOVVWCamper?feat=directlink

A few more:

IMG_0035.JPG.jpg

IMG_0024.JPG.jpg

NOS Full Side and rear corner panels
CNV00002.JPG

First clipping together of all the bits!
CNV00008.JPG

CNV00004.JPG

CNV00006.JPG

Front Panel.... rewire and replace the inner fronts
CNV00016.JPG

CNV00034.JPG

022_19.JPG

031_28.JPG

025_22.JPG

Lead loaded seams
036_33.JPG

New Wheel Arch tub
CNV00033.JPG

027_24.JPG

Other Side fixed, repaired and painted ready for the new panel
019_16.JPG

020_17.JPG

Ready for prepping:
029_26.JPG

Finished!

IMG_1342.JPG

IMG_1336.JPG

Hello Mike-J,

I wonder ... where did you get these hubcaps?
Old-Style with logo on the 71-up rims!
I want those! :)

Regards
Weby

The trims themselves I picked up at Vanfest one year, just standard wheel trims. As for the hupcaps - old dome style actually do fit the 71+ rims, I think one of them I just slightly pulled the grip area out a little to make it fit tighter, but generally they'll snap on well. They look a bit stupid without the trims though as they stick out just a little too much.

Thanks, and after driving round for the last 15 years with a bloody big hole in the drivers seat, I finally pickup the re-trimmed versions in the morning! Red and Cream with red stitching ... can't wait! :)

Latest posts