71 Sierra Yellow, OG paint refresh

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mike202 said:
squareweave said:
Had the muffler assy. ceramic coated. Got it back today. I went with a stock exhaust for reliability and clearance. Since the motor is basically a stock 71 1600DP I thought that this was the best option. I hate a rusty canister of a muffler lurking behind the bumper and I think this livens things up. Although being that this bus sits alot lower than my others you probably won't see it. :(

That exhaust looks nice. It looks a bit like chrome plating :)

In person it looks like polished aluminum. It won't discolour like chrome or rust once the heat gets to it. I have the stock grey color done to my beige bus and it still looks mint.

Myvanway said:
I like the look of that cabinet on the left.... nice zorst too. 8)

Thanks bud, Canadian country stepback, old for our part of the world. That piece is dated about pre 1860 (forged nails, etc)

Well so much for an early night... Spotted your thread and read the lot! Nice to see one like ours.. Jan 26th 1971 she was born and never been painted or welded. We have no where near the experience you do mind (our first aircooled, period) loving your work!

Too nice your exhaust! Looks just perfect!
Looking forward to see more pics from your build up!
Have a nice weekend!
Reto

I've been thinking about switching up the wheels on the bus. I have these hiding in my storage, a full set of 5 real 901 part # Porsche alloys. I have three 5.5"s (for the front and spare) and two deep sixes (for the rear). I've had them sitting here for years and never used since they were polished by Al Reed. Sorry for the shitty picture. What do you think?

Well I think you've got too much cool stuff!!!!
You should load half of it into the back of one of your buses & ship it over to me, ok?? :lol:

Well it's been a while without any updates. I have the front hubs back together with new bearings. I also started cleaning up the rear fender wells . As mentioned before I froze off the underseal and am now cleaning off the residue left behind. You got to love dry climates :D

Drivers side:

Started on the pass side:

Hard and messy work
Next up rear notches

Come on now it's about time we saw the finished product :)
Stop keeping us waiting !

Squareweave,

Loving the work on your arches, I'm in the process of doing mine, though yours are considerably better condition. It seems a lot of the good buses are '71's that where originally painted Sierra Yellow. I guess there must have been something in the paint. I also said in my thread I didn't like Sierra Yellow as a colour but I've just had a look over your thread again and I take it back, your bus is awesome. 8)

squareweave said:
Well it's been a while without any updates. I have the front hubs back together with new bearings. I also started cleaning up the rear fender wells . As mentioned before I froze off the underseal and am now cleaning off the residue left behind. You got to love dry climates :D

Drivers side:

Started on the pass side:

Hard and messy work
Next up rear notches

That's insane! Could not believe how clean this wheel arches are! :shock:
Great work, looking forward to the next update! :)
Regards
Reto

I had the tires mounted today, I have three 15x5.5's and two 15x6. These are real 901 part number Fuchs with hearts. They were polished by Al Reed and have been sitting under my house for years.Fronts and spare are 165/50r15 and rears are 185/65r15, a pretty standard set up I guess.

Those wheels look stunning especially with fresh rubber!

I notice you've removed your rear side markers, could I be cheeky and ask you to measure where the mounting holes are? I want to add a set of them to my bus but am not sure of the correct positioning, thanks in advance Paul

Latest posts