71 Westfalia Restoration

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1971 westy owner

Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago I bought a 71 VW Camper (my first). it looked in overall decent condition (with some rust here and there, floor in the front mostly) and had most of the missing parts in boxes in the van. the previous owner just had the engine rebuilt but never installed it in the bus, so im not even sure it runs. the back interior was trashed, but the front is not too bad, so ill leave it as is, with the exception of the seats and radio. the back i want to totally redo, model it after some of the other busses ive seen. i have a few questions about the bus, on most ive seen they have bucket seats and you can walk between them into the back, mine has bench seats and has a metal half wall thing that goes all the way across that looks like its there for support making it impossible to get from the front to the back short of just climbing over it. i have 6 months before i really need this bus at least driveable and road worthy. here are some pictures of the bus how we got it, and after we stripped the back out. please make any suggestions, and another thing, i would rather have the sun roof over the pop top, is there any way to change it over, and if not the canvas is shot how would i aquire/make a new one.

DSCN0018.jpg

DSCN0021.jpg

beforewegotit3.jpg

DSCN0065.jpg

DSCN0024.jpg

DSCN0019.jpg

DSCN0068.jpg

DSCN0020.jpg

DSCN0026.jpg

DSCN0027.jpg

DSCN0066.jpg

Latest posts