71 Westy Cal import

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joval

Reaction score
'Bout time I posted some pics of my bus -

After a couple of months scouring the classifieds on thesamba I spotted this -

1867469.jpg

After weeding through00's of ads and some scammers (6 of them) I had a good feeling about this one and mailed
the seller, we spoke on the phone, more pics were sent...then on Christmas day we shook on it. :D
Taking a massive leap of faith I paid the full price by Paypal on new years day (pretty good exchange rate as it happens)

I already had Kingstown lined up to handle the shipping so I passed it on to them, but as it was hundreds of miles from
LA there were a few hiccups getting it shipped Eventually it was loaded at the end of January and by this time I was getting pretty
nervous - I only had the word of the seller to reassure me.

Online tracker -

here.gif

It landed safely in Felixstowe 14th March and as I'm in Cork on the South coast of Ireland another transporter was hired, and more
drama ensued. :roll: Two weeks later it arrived -

(sorry for the crap camera phone pics)

DSC00170.jpg

Front bumper was ripped off, after the ignition wiring was ripped out but to be honest I was just happy
to have it home so I could give a good going over - see if I had been screwed. :?

DSC00173.jpg

I hadn't :wink:

Sure it's scruffy - it has a long and well travelled life (started out in Germany in 71) but it is by far the most
solid and original VW I have owned to date. (6 beetles)
I did a quick patch on the wiring, and after charging the battery it fired up straight away.
I drove it 10 miles home and began to rip the interior out for (cleaning) and service it etc.

DSC00218.jpg

1867471_002.jpg

DSC00250.jpg

DSC00258.jpg

DSC00259.jpg

Now for the fun part -

DSC00151.jpg

DSC00154.jpg

Rear brakes had been leaking, need a refurb (work in progress)

DSC00291.jpg

DSC00296.jpg

205/70s :D

DSC00292.jpg

Plan is one spline on the back and front down on Red9 coilovers. :wink:

looks like an interesting seat configuration there, looks OG too

any idea what type it is (apart from westfalia obviously) :mrgreen:

its not the usual run of the mill westy set up

slammedresto said:
looks like an interesting seat configuration there, looks OG too

any idea what type it is (apart from westfalia obviously) :mrgreen:

its not the usual run of the mill westy set up

Yeah, full height cupboard and cooker behind the drivers seat, not sure I like it but it is unusual (and genuine)...

1867475_002.jpg

EDIT: It's SO 72/6

Araon said:
8) so has it still got the eber in the engine bay?

No, I reckon the PO kept it, he has a 67 split and an earlier SC :cry:

I did get the westy tent though -

1867468_002.jpg

Don't watch the shipping tracker, on mine it stopped mid-Atlantic :lol:

very nice origional looking bus youve got there mate.shame about the bumper! like the interior.wish mine still had all its interior still.only the bed and the headlining remain :(
will look cool lowered with the fuchs.would keep the rest og,its the future! :lol:

You know I miss OXO every year because I'm trying to put a car together after the Winter. :roll: :lol:

Eircooled campout in Galway next month which is almost the right direction.., hope to head up for Rawktoberfest :wink:

Should be a few there, just a handful I reckon. Are you on Eircooled?

Red9 4" kit up front and one spline on the rear - although I'm not convinced,
haven't dropped the far corner yet so maybe that's why it doesn't look lowered at the back...

Latest posts