71 Westy upgrade

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71Westy

Reaction score
Well, thought it was time to post some stuff on here. Upgrading my Westy so that it fits my family better. First, the underneath - wire brushed and rust bulletted....

7y010-1.jpg

DSC01840.jpg

DSC01839.jpg

DSC01838.jpg

DSC01837.jpg

DSC01836.jpg

Just got the bit below the fuel tank to do, plus waxoyling the cavities (ooer)

Nick

And now some electrics - mains hookup and charger

DSC02145.jpg

DSC02146.jpg

DSC02147.jpg

DSC02148.jpg

Interior to follow....

And the interior....

new rock and roll bed, sound deadening, insulation, and the new floor

DSC02091.jpg

DSC02133.jpg

DSC02136.jpg

DSC02162.jpg

DSC02164.jpg

DSC02165.jpg

DSC02166.jpg

DSC02168.jpg

DSC02173.jpg

DSC02174.jpg

DSC02176.jpg

DSC02178.jpg

DSC02179.jpg

Phew

Looking good, How many of you are there that need to squeeze in when your done?
States bus? Very little rust under there 8)

Rich

Hi Rich - Well normally me, my partner, and my 3 kids. But occasionally one of her kids too. So I wanted the full width bench. For sleeping, it's got a new single bunk upstairs, plus an awning with two bedrooms.

Yes, it's a US bus. Will need some welding come winter (patched up for now), but hopefully nothing serious.

I love the colour too - Chianti red.

Trimmers now working on the seats :) - and I've got the new furniture from David Chatfield which looks awesome :D

this looks great 8) what is the hookup controller? i havent seen one like that before.

Hmm - controller? I have modded the standard 110V connector box, feeding a domestic consumer unit. This feeds a CTEK charger for the leisure battery, and will feed a mains socket on teh day unit. The charger is a marine unit, actually - I wanted enough oomph for a fridge, and a unit that sits in the back. There are a couple of CTEK units for campers - 7A and 25A, but I wanted something in between, hence the marine unit (it's the same technology, different label). It also has a night mode that turns off the fan :)

I've got a marine fridge too - a compressor jobbie that gives me a fridge and freezer and should only consume 1.7A per hour. It was silly money, but hopefully worth it.

Nick

Nice looking bus, should be toasty when its finished.

Out of curiosity have you got a phot of the outside, I'm keen to see the difference between Chianti red and Montana Red.

I'll pop it on tonight - but you'll probably be hard pressed to tell on a computer screen. panalvan has a thread on here with his absolutely stunning Montana red one for comparison - well, there's no comparison when you see what he has done.. but you get my drift.

Nice work on the interior dude 8)

Look forward to further updates ;)

Here we go - exterior pics - as you can see, different photos in different light make quite a difference. For want of a better description, I'd say Chianti was slightly more purple (very slightly). Of course, it's had a couple of resprays - the original paint on the inside isn't that different though.

DSC01851.jpg

DSC01852.jpg

DSC02061.jpg

DSC02062.jpg

DSC02068.jpg

Chianti is a much deeper red, montana is brighter. i love both colours but chianti over pastel white is a good combo. i saw a restored one recently and it was beautiful.

Loving the work Nick - the tiles are a really nice touch, hope to see it in the flesh soon ;)

Thanks for the +ve feedback folks - been waxoyling the front doors today - yuk!

On the plus side, the other half didn't moan about the tin of waxoyl in the oven (electric, 60*C, so no explosion :))

Another day and many more jobs... amongst which I fitted my new top locker. And got the mains hookup working. Also fitted a temporary light on the dash so I can see when my leisure battery is charging from the dynamo. Really must tidy up those earths too....

DSC02198.jpg

DSC02195.jpg

DSC02194.jpg

DSC02199.jpg

Hooray - got the interior bits back from the upholsterers.... So a busy weekend fitting it all back in :)

DSC02203.jpg

DSC02206.jpg

DSC02207.jpg

DSC02209.jpg

DSC02210.jpg

DSC02211.jpg

DSC02212.jpg

DSC02213.jpg

DSC02215.jpg

DSC02216.jpg

DSC02217.jpg

DSC02218.jpg

DSC02220.jpg

DSC02228.jpg

DSC02229.jpg

DSC02231.jpg

Bit of a shameless plug, but.....
Thanks to David Chatfield for the furniture - great job, hand made to my design.
And to Goldsmiths of Ipswich for the upholstery - fantastic work.

Cheers,
Nick