72 Bay with oval rear lights

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i stand corrected, until he said the vin no. i was thinking 71 all day long too. gonna keep my gob shut now :oops: :roll:
i hate threads like this though, not nice.

it is such a frustration as everything is so original and well maintained apart from the vin it would appear, how fixed is the stamp in the engine bay and are there any good signs to detect tampering as it looks to be a 71 engine bay with a 72 build stamp. Also are there any other stamps in the metal hidden somewhere that cannot be easily removed. I was told that the vehicle has been owned by the same family in the Peterborough area for some time, it was used as yearly transport to Devon, was originally orange and had a devon conversion that has since been removed and put in another bus as it was barely used and very clean. I will ask the seller for any further background he has and any explanation on the vin, I hope he will help as he came across as very knowledgeble and genuine, certainly been working with aircooled vw for a long time. I originally thought it may have been an old shape model, perhaps using up parts in the factory but you guys have convinced me that is not possible.

jamesabell1978 said:
it is such a frustration as everything is so original and well maintained apart from the vin it would appear, how fixed is the stamp in the engine bay and are there any good signs to detect tampering as it looks to be a 71 engine bay with a 72 build stamp. Also are there any other stamps in the metal hidden somewhere that cannot be easily removed. I was told that the vehicle has been owned by the same family in the Peterborough area for some time, it was used as yearly transport to Devon, was originally orange and had a devon conversion that has since been removed and put in another bus as it was barely used and very clean. I will ask the seller for any further background he has and any explanation on the vin, I hope he will help as he came across as very knowledgeble and genuine, certainly been working with aircooled vw for a long time. I originally thought it may have been an old shape model, perhaps using up parts in the factory but you guys have convinced me that is not possible.

As requested - best thing would be to take a good close up photo of the chassis number. This is stamped into the metal where I mentioned earlier. Tampering should be relativly easy to spot.

Thanks, here you go

DSCF1483_zpsdee977b2.jpg

DSCF1482_zps78545cd1.jpg

DSCF1481_zps7722afab.jpg

just carefully remove the paint and you will see if any filler or tampering has happened

Ok good pic that last one. I have just been outside to double check on a 71.

The chassis number should be 10 digits not 9.

When VW stamped the chassis number they also stamped an asterisk at each end of the chassis number.

The stamping was done in such a way that the metal around each digit was not dented or distorted eg. the metal remains flat and the stamped number is crisp.

Sorry to say your chassis stamp does not look bona fide.

As suggested, you could try cleaning off the paint to see if its been over stamped.

The only other thing that might explain things is if the bus has been imported from somewhere like South Africa or Australia, where there were lots of differences between what they produced locally and what was being made in Germany.

ps. do you have disk brakes on the front?

agreed mate ...remove the paint back to metal as carefully as you can.as stated there should be an asterix...have you spoke to the person you bought it from about this?

Sorry - I've got to agree with Trikky.

I've just been out to look at my '71, and your VIN stamping is nothing like what is on my bus. I think the characters are not the right size (height) on your bus

:(

hello, yep got discs on the front, will take the paint off at the weekend and see whats up. just left a vm for the chap so hopefully cross fingers might get some more background info. Amazing what buying some missing tinware leads to, god knows what the next steps are with this, 20 years of wanting one and it is starting to feel a bit sour.

I feel for you - I am so sorry its souring things for you. I hate it when things go like this.

I sincerely hope for you that it does turn out to be an import of some sort. [manhug smiley]

Do you pay road tax on it? The details posted earlier suggest you do......

I did to ensure it was all taxed when I picked it up but asked for the taxation class to be amended to historic vehicle on the v5 return so I will wait and see what comes through on the new v5, the way I am feeling at the mo half expect it to say skoda :D

There will be a date stamp on some of the panels.

The doors have them, as does the roof.

Sent from my VS TOUCHTAB 10.1DC using Tapatalk 2

jamesabell1978 said:
thanks mattyd72 will investigate

Check near the gutters first. Usually a circle with a month and a year.
Although it depend how many repaints its had....

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Could anyone post a good example of the general area that the chassis is stamped on for a 71 please so I can compare? many thanks

Sorry, just been into the garage to take a picky on my 71, but phone just ran out of juice.
You should have a number stamped into where you currently have a number near the battery, ending in an asterisk, and a big silver plate on the metal behind the drivers seat next to the seat belt reel.

Latest posts