72 cross over

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkidMarkII

Reaction score
Ok here she is. Paid a grand. Got work to do and will satrt it when I get it back to the garage. Still at me mates house sitting outside at the mo until I have made the space for it!

Image0036.jpg

Image0037.jpg

Image0038.jpg

Image0040.jpg

Image0042.jpg

Image0043.jpg

Image0044.jpg

Image0045.jpg

Will keep you posted as and when stuff gets done!

Congratulation on a great deal there. Very solid for a RHD Bus. Can't wait to see the updates, as I am awaiting my 72 Westy to arrive as well.

That's a twin of my bus - 1972 crossover, Neptune Blue, Devon poptop - even got the same sticker on the dash!!! 8)

Mine is UTP 267K - is yours similar???

;)

Justin & Muttley said:
That's a twin of my bus - 1972 crossover, Neptune Blue, Devon poptop - even got the same sticker on the dash!!! 8)

Mine is UTP 267K - is yours similar???

;)

do you know what I dont even know the reg lol. Will find out what it is and let you know. lol at us having twins, got another scary thing for you as well the g/f bug is a 67 lol.

I bet yours looks better though dont it??

vanagonman said:
Congratulation on a great deal there. Very solid for a RHD Bus. Can't wait to see the updates, as I am awaiting my 72 Westy to arrive as well.

She will be solid by the time I have finished with her! This one I am going to keep as well for the rest of my days! I have had so many and thought its time to chill out and keep what I got for a long long time!

Everyone seems to be into the westys at the mo, is it coming from the states?

Mine is a 'work in progress' - it doesn't have quite as many holes as yours, but it's no minter by any means!!

Spooky about the bug too! - I've just lowered Joy's bug using a 4" Red9 Kit (I've got one for the van too) - it looks much better!!

Here's a couple of pics of the van when I bought it (Also for £1,000!!!!):

camper4.jpg

camper1.jpg

;)

Looks a good project bus :D
Whats the chassis like then - come on get those pics a coming ;)

SkidMarkII said:
vanagonman said:

Everyone seems to be into the westys at the mo, is it coming from the states?

Oh dear. I did say Westy didn't I?...actually it's a tintop Deluxe with a Westy interior :) It's coming from Texas. It will be going back to America within six months (moving to Florida) after being here, so it will not be UK registered.

I just bought a complete early Westfalia poptop assembly which is being delivered to me in the next hour or so (got it from Fleabay for 200 quid - but Man with Van is charging me £90 quid to pick it up - Ouch!) - Will need new Vinyl and it doesn't come with the cots. Oh well, i'll make a bed.

The idea is to fit the Westy poptop (yes, I will cut the sunroof hole and locate a set of sunroof reinforcements and panel glue them rather then weld). Unfortunately, they never made Bay Deluxe Westys. So this is the next best thing.

Will keep the stock windows (no fitting of the Jalousies). Will keep the waist-height two-tone colors and keep the signature chrome surrounds/badge.

It will need replacement panels for both the cargo and cab floor. Luckly, I live across the street from a welder who patches up cars that fail MOT. I'm hoping he could sort me out.

You guys got some real bargains there. Gotta love them crossovers! :D

Cheers guys.

I have got the garage finished now and we got a plan to get the bus over here after chrimbo as everyone is so rushed and in Jan things chill a bit. So there wont be any updates on this till at least Jan :oops:

She has no interior, so is a blank canvas at the mo. My and the gal are really going to think about what we are going to use her for then build the interior around that. I have figured out the wheels, colour and how she will look on the outside! Just the interior now.

Cheers for the welcome back and I will keep you updated as soon as I start on her.

Skids

Ok got the garage sorted, got the peach bug stuffed up at mates and borrowing a van with tow bar on Monday to move the cars around......................so the bus will be at home on Monday. Will get it in and do an assessent on it with lots of pics to post up on here.

So fingers crossed that it all goes well and lets hope she is as good as I hope and that there are no hidden surprises.

Laters

Skids

ok here we go! got the garage sorted and cars moved to make room for her. She is now home and I have started to pull her apart!

She is alot better in most places than I forst thought and what I expected in the others being a UK bus! I will let the pics do the talking

Image0156.jpg

Before anyone says anything she will be getting smacked with the lowering stick :D

Image0157.jpg

Image0160.jpg

Image0164.jpg

Image0163.jpg

Image0171.jpg

Image0168.jpg

I have more pics but I think you get the idea. I think I am going to start from the back and work forward, unless any of you have any advise why I should start from the front and work back.

Being the first bus resto I have done I will probably be asking alot of questions :D :)

Well thats it so far, I have asked a couple of questions in the tech forum about wheels and panels here http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=20125&p=176057#p176057" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; just if any of you can help!

Cheers guys

Skids

dandaz said:
Are you taking the belly pans off?

looks a nice base.... 8)

Yer its a cool base to start with....considering its a UK bus!

Belly pans are coming off and will probably put fibre glass ones back on as I want to mount a couple of fresh water tanks under there somewhere and fibre glass will be easier to work with :D

Its coming along........just need to make a couple of calls tomoz and see where to get the panels from!

Ok got an update for you guys.........after having the poke around and looking at my options with panels and the work involved with said options I managed to source (by accident) a complete rust free 72 rear end, which covers me for the battery trays either side, both rear corners and inner and outer valance which are all shagged on mine. Leaves me with the top half of a rear end but hey you never know :lol: . I have also got 2 72 only rot free front arches :shock:

These items should make putting the metal work back into the bus alot easier than using repo crap that dont fit ;)

This is stuff that I thought I would never get and thanks to Mat at Southern Combi's we worked out a deal of me having them! He is a top bloke and helped me out and I would like to say thanks! I know where I will be going for any more parts when I need them! I am picking the parts up on the 14th Feb so wont be doing anything else to the bus till then.....so no updates, unless of course you want to see it without windows and a pop top on :p .

Latest posts