• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

72 Crossover towbar - believed factory?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nugsy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all
Got a towbar taken off my 72 crossover. The mounting irons replace your standard bumper irons, and then have an additional t-piece the bumper bolts too. When I took this off the wiring for the socket went into the main harness and looked like a factory job. The long bar fits neatly inside the rear bumper and has 4 holes (drilled in the bumper) so you can easily remove the actual tow hitch if need be

Looking for £120

Parts

Only decent pic I can find showing how it fits together

Does it have any makers plate on it,and what does it look like fitted with the electrics socket
I m thinking of getting one but not really sure if I will use it so in 2 minds at the moment
cheers
Matt

Never seen a makers plate on it that I remember, but will take another look. This is the only pic I have of it fitted, I was going to fit it to my 71 but haven't needed it in 2 years so don't think I ever will . When it was on my 72 the previous owner had cut the bumper around it for some reason rather than drilling the bumper to remove the hitch?? unless the bolts had rusted on and it was the only way he could remove it. As above the actual long bar tucks up inside the bumper so with the hitch removed you would know it was there.

p.s. it was a 72 Danbury tin top it came off, the interior of which is now in my US 71 :D

cant quite see in that pic
does the actual hitch fix onto the bumper itself then? or just sit anderneath it
Ive never actually seen one fitted yet and I dont really want to have to touch the rear bumper
cheers
matt

the hitch bolts through the bumper and into the long beam behind the bumper. Sorry got no more pics as I lost that bus in a fire over 2 years ago. I'd took it off before then and its been in my shed since

Do you have any more pictures of the tow ball mountings? I've recently purchased a bay with a tow bar fitted, but no tow ball. there's 4 holes in the bumper going into the tow bar as you explained above.

Only got the pics above, but you can see the tow ball in it. Their is a flat plate at the back that has matching 4 holes. The bolts then go straight though and screw into the longitudinal bar

Hi I have one of these bumper/tow bars so have uploaded the pictures I have as may help your sell.

Hoping to fit to my early bay just making so brackets as the ones on it are to wide .

4f0d929c.jpg

06bc15bf.jpg

007c6a94.jpg

478ca466.jpg

482fe393.jpg

fde8beec.jpg

Thanks vw_mad, that tow ball looks exactly the thing I need. Do you mind if I pinch a photo to help my search? Does it have a make/model stamped on it anywhere? Would the brackets off Nugsy's bar help your fitting? I'd split the purchase if you're interested.

Nugsy, is that the same as yours? Yours looks like it has a plate below the tow ball for some reason, do you know if that's removable?

Nick

Hi again. nope that's exactly the same as mine. The end plates are designed to fit a crossover rear chassis replacing the standard bumper irons, and as with vw_mad if I wanted to fit it to my 71 i'd need to create new brackets or modify those ones. Thought i'd offer a bolt in option to the 72 brigade, as I no longer have mine :D

I see what you mean about the plate. I'd always thought that was part of the whole thing and will have to check the state of the welding, it looks like it was on my old bus a while as it has overspray from all the colour changes I know it went through. Maybe its the other way round and vw_mad's has had that bit cut off to tidy it up a bit?

I still have the electrics off mine but at the time I was going to still use it on my 72, I bought new electrics just to be safe. After taking the pics I put it back in my shed, and the weather here today means I cant empty it all out again to get to it :(

Surprised Gadget doesn't want it for a template for his next range :)

--------------------------------------
Why didn't I buy my bus years ago !?

martin.sim said:
Surprised Gadget doesn't want it for a template for his next range :)

--------------------------------------
Why didn't I buy my bus years ago !?

I made the offer, but he was unsure what it was :D . Im after one of his for my 70/71

My van is a crossover '72. It actually had one of these when I got hold of this van 15 years ago but to cut a long story short due to an engine fire it ended up being cut off. Other than the bit hanging off the bottom of the ball it's pretty ideal as my bus is quite low and it's all neatly hidden away!
Presume you've still got it?

Latest posts