A few days away - highlands

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonboylaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Took the family away for a few days up north. We got lucky with the weather!
Awesome views and 30c, just the midgies to bother you.

ryny9udu.jpg

e4y7aza2.jpg

jy5adu9e.jpg

yradu9uh.jpg

u6ehevyd.jpg
u4arene2.jpg

eqebahag.jpg

uvejyher.jpg

3egyme9y.jpg

8e4upaqa.jpg

Sent from my GX64 SatCom phone using Tapatalk

Wow - awesome pics

Somewhere I have always wanted to take the bus - but unfortunately its quicker to drive to mainland europe!

8)

Red Squirrel camping in glencoe. Totally chiiled campsite with a river pool and fires allowed ! Recommended. We are up to the high north next week for a few days. Totally recommended. Anyone want some places to visit then PM me for details. Your bus needs to be able to climb hills though ;)

Off to Applecross tomorrow, this is an awesome place to visit with views to Skye. Be warned though, it has the highest (steepest) pass in the uk to get there so will test your van and your nerve ( single track roads all the way over). Planning to head further up during the rest of the week to see some amazing beaches if the weather is kind.

Will post some more photos when I get the chance.

Here is Hoolagrl, my latest addition.

a9ere7un.jpg

And here she is in action:

http://youtu.be/mZpKzF65Iz4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you want a great beach further north, go to Achmelvich, its north of Lochinver went there a few times as kids when visiting the rellies in Ullapool. Think there is a campsite there too but not 100%.

Al

love that campsite, used it a lot back in the day climbing in glencoe. and the Clachaig inn is awesome shared a urinal with chris bonnington there once... surreal.

and applecross is fantastic, brave taking the bus over the pass, have done it in a modern vehicle and still punishing in places, but the views are unreal...

That look awesome. I've always wanted to go to applecross. That's one for the journey book. Was up in Aviemore, Loch Morlich a few weeks ago. That's worth a few days if you're ever in the area 8)

Good photos. Looks like you had a really nice trip.

Glad to see it still looks as beautiful as I remember it.

Thanks for sharing :)

Cheers guys, we did the Belach Na ba pass on Tuesday, no problems, but would not try it in a standard 1600 bus. We did Applecross, around the peninsular then up to Melvaig at the sands holiday park, camping in the dunes then on to Sligo Sands in Durness ( top left on a map). Loads of single track roads, steep climbs and descents. Wrapped up with a drive down from Durness to home in a single day.
Memories, the chippy in Ullapool, amazing food! Eating Langoustines outside Applecross Inn and the fecking Migies! The buggers bite and the bites itch like nothing else.

More photos:

Belach-Na-Ba
y3yrymu2.jpg

5uguqanu.jpg

7uga4u3e.jpg

Applecross

y8a5ada7.jpg

e4ereqyg.jpg

Melvaig/Gairloch
ha2epuqu.jpg

Sligo sands:
4azumesa.jpg

gabyda9y.jpg

4y4adysa.jpg

y2eve5eb.jpg

Sutherland:
y9epyze5.jpg

eqy2y9ej.jpg

6yvahy4e.jpg

Well worth a trip up. Saw 3 late bays, 1 Brazilian Bay, she'd loads of T25, t4s and t5s.

The scenery is stunning, some wonderful beaches with clear blue water and surf, for those that like to. Weather is changeable to say the least and loads if foreigners about but not such an issue on single track roads :)

Great :D a second helping, I enjoyed that - thanks.

I have some similar pictures from a similar tour in a stock 1600 bus but dating back to the 1970's :lol:

(Was there in June so no midges yet)

It was great fun, very impressed with the van and the engine pulled really well, surprised a few people when leaving them on long up him climbs, two T25s were very surprised as they became small dots in the rear view mirror.
I would recommend a trip up north to anyone. The views are spectacular and are pretty much on the door step, catch the weather right and you would not believe you were in the uk.
Got loads more photos on my good camera and video from the dash cam.

Latest posts