A tale of two door seals.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

streetboy

Reaction score
Finally got round to fitting two new cab door seals today with different results. I got the seals (German) off a guy on ebay at £18 a piece. When they arrived I was pleasently surprised at their quality, well formed corners and nice and flexible on the sealing part. I started with the lefthand door by fitting in the restraint area then loosely pinched the top corners in followed by the bottom corners, and found that the seal was an excellent length with no stretching required.
A drop of silicone rubber spray was applied which helped the seal push in nice and easy. I used some very thin re-fix tape for the front leading edge and job done. I did expected the seal to be a little tight as it new and must say I am pleased with the way the door shuts with minimal force. It should settle down ok over the next few days.

Then I set about the righthand door. Different all together reagards shutting :shock: Since I have had the bus I noted that the lower front corner of the door (adjacent to the step) was sticking out a bit. but the gaps all round are even. This door had needed a little extra help to close even with the old seal.
I fitted the seal the same way as the left one and then went to close it. Very, very hard to close and binding at the front edge :( I'm sure its not the seal but more a door frame issue. It is the original door and looks to have had no previous damage, and the step/arch is all original as well. It would just appear to be a bad fitting door for some reason. The binding at the front is caused by the seal around the restraint area as it sits up against the pillar. It would appear that if this was much thinner it would not be half as hard to close.
I'll leave this door shut for a few days and see if it settles a bit before trying to adjust it.

But some good news, I also fitted a nos hatch seal from 'Vdub shack as he has a few going. £40 posted and a perfect fit as you would expect. Very pliable rubberwith all the right forming. Can't recommend this seal enough. Be quick as he only has a few ;)

Latest posts