A very strange bus indeed.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigG

Reaction score
Well after pulling the engine apart on my wifes bus I decided that I would tackle the dodgy paintjob it had prior to our purchase back in 07.
Ive been reluctant to see what horrors lurked under the alpine white paintwork perticulerly as the PO just masked every thing up (including the nose badge :shock: ) The bottom of the slider had had some work and the join was starting to come apart which is what made me decide to remove the proverbial bottom 10 inches of paint and take it like a man.
What Ive found so far has quite literally shocked me, but under the dodgy paint was the original Niagra blue and under that... practically all the original metal :shock:
Now I know thats not that unusual on a recent Cali import but this is a UK supplied, rhd crossover.
Yes I know, totally and utterly bizarre.
ebay2032.jpg

Rear corner showing a few small holes along the battery tray line.
ebay2031.jpg

Original rear arch, some welding done just to the front of it but done very well.
ebay2029.jpg

Front arch and B post, this is a sunroof bus ffs.
ebay2035.jpg

original paint can clearly be seen under white paint and in engine bay.
Going to start stripping the other side and lower front tomorrow to see what other weirdness I can find :D

Think i'll rename this thread The good the bad and the ugly because after finding some good original metal at the bottom of the bus it seemed the top wasnt in such good fettel :cry:
ebay2041.jpg

filler around sunroof opening hiding the 'bad'
Then along came the 'ugly' after removing the windscreen.
ebay2040.jpg

Though not perticulerly rusty the front panel seems to have had some damage in the past, this dent had about 1/2" of filler over it.
Think Im going to have to strip the whole of the front before former bus barn body boys ben and Mark perform their magic.

I know the feeling mate; my roof almost parted company from the sides once the high top was lifted off. A PO had removed a band of paint all round to ensure a good adhesion between high top and van, only for the tin worm to spy his chance.

f0415676.jpg

Good luck. It WILL get better, keep the faith.

Latest posts