Accident / Insurance help needed please

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcher

Reaction score
Some bloody arse hit my van yesterday on the way to Whitenoise. It was hit in the rear and shoved into a van in front of me. Me and the van were stationary when the BMW hit me.

The BMW driver has admitted that it was his fault. The police arrived very quick, as we were in the Q for the Black Wall Tunnel approach.

All details exchanged etc. Van had to recovered to my VW garage for quotes and assessment. Ended the plans for our weekend :( :( :( :(

I have a 2 week family camping holiday booked in a week time. Spoke to my insurance company yesterday late afternoon to fill in form and record accident.
They were getting there hire company to call me today to arrange a hire car, but they don't hire motorhomes/campers. :( :(

So can I hire a van myself and claim the hire cost????
Will that add to my claim??? I don't really want to push the claim up to much because I don't want to them to write off my bus :cry: :cry: :cry:

Proper bastard!
I had a smack a while back in my Passat. I didn't have car cover but I paid initaly and claimed it back of the guy who twated me.

Sorry to here that crappy news, hope it won't spoil your hols.

Paul.

As Paul says ,yes you can claim off his insurance.You may have to pay for van hire and get money back later. Use credit card. Before you hire van get in touch with BMW drivers insurance company first.This will not affect the repairs to your camper !!!! Hope you get sorted out and enjoy your hol's
Robert

I've no idea about the insurance side of things, but really feeling for you. I really like your bus, seen it a couple of times at Brighton Breeze.
What a bitch when life screws your family fun time plans like this.
I hope you get it sorted and have a good holiday.

mister said:
I've no idea about the insurance side of things, but really feeling for you. I really like your bus, seen it a couple of times at Brighton Breeze.
What a bitch when life screws your family fun time plans like this.
I hope you get it sorted and have a good holiday.

Cheers mister.

It was a really "shit" yesterday. At least everyone was fine, other then a bit of whip leash
:cry: :cry:

dustrat said:
As Paul says ,yes you can claim off his insurance.You may have to pay for van hire and get money back later. Use credit card. Before you hire van get in touch with BMW drivers insurance company first.This will not affect the repairs to your camper !!!! Hope you get sorted out and enjoy your hol's
Robert

I was under the impression that the "total" claim will be added together and that will decide if the van was a write of or not????
Ill call them on Monday and double check
cheers

I didn't have car cover but I paid initaly and claimed it back of the guy who twated me.

^^^ I'm sure that's the way I will have to go. But I called a company that hire T5's (dont really want to go away in a bloody great 6 berth motorhome) and they want £2250 for the 2 weeks :roll: :roll: :roll: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Can you not get it assessed quickly and then make some quick repairs to use it while the claim
Is ongoing?

When I claimed on my insurance after my fire last year this is what I was told:

They wouldn't right it off unless the total cost of repairs comes in excess of the value of the vehicle.
Secondly, they told me it would need to go to one of heir authorised repairers. I argued this point and told them I wanted the choice of where to take it, which I did in the end.

Thirdly, I had to keep on at them to send out an assessor as they really dragged their feet. It took two months to send one out and as a result the top end of my engine had to be replaced.

Good luck mate.

Absolutely gutted for you.

I think it would be perfectly reasonable for the third party insurance to pick your hire bill up. Hope it all gets sorted, and you have a great holiday!!!

Clem said:
Can you not get it assessed quickly and then make some quick repairs to use it while the claim
Is ongoing?

Another question I will need answering tomorrow morning. Thanks Mike.

Bay-low71 said:
Absolutely gutted for you.

I think it would be perfectly reasonable for the third party insurance to pick your hire bill up. Hope it all gets sorted, and you have a great holiday!!!

That's what I'm hoping they will say. I think my van will not be able to make the trip. The front panel has moved back and I cant release the hand brake fully :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: 600 mile trip with the handbrake 1/8 on, not a good idea I think.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

gonzomillstrood said:
When I claimed on my insurance after my fire last year this is what I was told:

They wouldn't right it off unless the total cost of repairs comes in excess of the value of the vehicle.
Secondly, they told me it would need to go to one of heir authorised repairers. I argued this point and told them I wanted the choice of where to take it, which I did in the end.

Thirdly, I had to keep on at them to send out an assessor as they really dragged their feet. It took two months to send one out and as a result the top end of my engine had to be replaced.

Good luck mate.

It's down with John @ Kent VW at the moment. He's going to summit his report to the insurance company by the end of tomorrow (I hope) then its down to them to send an assessor.
I don't think I'll see it back before the end of the year :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

marcher said:
I called a company that hire T5's (dont really want to go away in a bloody great 6 berth motorhome) and they want £2250 for the 2 weeks :roll: :roll: :roll: :shock: :shock: :shock:

You can buy a plumbers wagon for that amount! :shock:

Myvanway said:
marcher said:
I called a company that hire T5's (dont really want to go away in a bloody great 6 berth motorhome) and they want £2250 for the 2 weeks :roll: :roll: :roll: :shock: :shock: :shock:

You can buy a plumbers wagon for that amount! :shock:

I know, I think I'm in the wrong job :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

marcher said:
That's what I'm hoping they will say. I think my van will not be able to make the trip. The front panel has moved back and I cant release the hand brake fully :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: 600 mile trip with the handbrake 1/8 on, not a good idea I think.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

That's horrible :(

Latest posts