Adaptors or re-drill?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin & Muttley

Reaction score
Got a few quid to spare so will be getting my Porsche wheels as soon as I can, but my question is this...

Would I be better off getting 5x112 to 5x130 adaptors (on eBay for £100) or getting my hubs/disks redrilled? If I get them redrilled who should I take them to and how much should I expect to pay for the work? (Also, do I need to get the old holes filled with plugs?)

cheers

J&M

;)

I have had re-drilled drums and discs on an old squareback for years and never had any problems, although I know some people say it weakens them. I reckon the best bet may be to get the old holes plugged/welded up, but it would be a job for the pro's, as they are cast metal, which needs to be heated up and cooled so it doesn't crack. I have used JW Tout in Portsmouth before, charged me around £15 per drum.

it depends what the offset of your cookies is. if it is around et52 then adapters are the way forward mate. otherwise the wheels will disappear into your arches. as the adapter also acts as a spacer. make sure you check all the numbers on the wheels as porsche rims come in lots of different sizes and not all will fit. theres a few et23 rims about and 7 or 8j rims that will not do you any favours. 6j 15" et 52.3 with a 25mm alloy hubcentric adapter is the way to do it mate

Can't you buy blank hubs from places such as Machine 7 and get them drilled to the PCD of your choice? That's the way I'd do it if possible. I've run adaptors before but I'm not a big fan TBH.

7" out back and 6" up front for the win.

have you looked at the creative engineering rear set up?
£280 but its a great piece of kit and no offset to worry about...

Don't think its possible to redrill the hubs as they won't take the pcd,adapters are the way to go depending on the offset of the wheels.

I'm not a fan of mucking about with the hubs, particularly the front ones. I can't see how they can be as strong if you are drilling bits out of them. Even if the other holes are welded up. The thought of a fractured hub and no steering sends shivers through me timbers. Murphy's law is always going to apply in that one IMO.
If you are set on Porsche wheels why don't you investigate fitting Porsche hubs as well?
Otherwise replicas might not look 100% but engineering wise you will be sitting over the real deal.
What about all the other wheels available with the VW stud patterns?
Sorry to put a dampener on this thread but I don't mess with steering or brakes (says he who likes to slam!).
The problem is if either of these fail you are a passenger not the pilot.
David

Justin & Mutley said:
slammedkustom said:
have you looked at the creative engineering rear set up?
£280 but its a great piece of kit and no offset to worry about...

SK- any chance of a link?

;)

im not sure but they are listed in the volksworld ad, sold a set to a guy a while ago and they were sweet!

lobus said:
I'm not a fan of mucking about with the hubs, particularly the front ones. I can't see how they can be as strong if you are drilling bits out of them. Even if the other holes are welded up. The thought of a fractured hub and no steering sends shivers through me timbers. Murphy's law is always going to apply in that one IMO.
If you are set on Porsche wheels why don't you investigate fitting Porsche hubs as well?
Otherwise replicas might not look 100% but engineering wise you will be sitting over the real deal.
What about all the other wheels available with the VW stud patterns?
Sorry to put a dampener on this thread but I don't mess with steering or brakes (says he who likes to slam!).
The problem is if either of these fail you are a passenger not the pilot.
David

Don't worry David - I'll be careful! I don't plan on drilling anything as I'm deffo going to go with adaptors now - I realy want to change the front disk setup for Porsche 944 so that will solve half the problem...

Remember kids, play safe!

;)

Latest posts