adjustable springplates fitted, I have a couple of questions

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shea

Reaction score
I'm just after fitting my adjustable springplates 2 days ago. When refitting the springplate cover one of the 15mm bolts went in at an angle, after a turn I realised this and unscrewed the bolt but I think I've messed up the first few threads in the bolt hole as it stripped the bolt when I tried again, I take it I'll have to tap the hole again? Any advice on doing this?

Also when I fitted the plates I moved them up one outer spline, one side is maybe 1 mm above the metal stop whilst the other side is around 9mm above the stop. I've rechecked both sides and they are definitely rotated one spline, I've managed to level the rear using the adjusters anyway but I'm wondering if this 8mm difference is out of the ordinary?

Thanks!

Can't remember if the holes are blind or all the way through, only took mine off a couple of weeks ago :roll: but if the holes are through holes put a bolt in through the backside to clean the threads chances are if you only just "started it" then possibly not to much damage done, if they are not thro' holes and you don't have a tap try holding the bolt in alignment without the plate in the way and starting it again if it's just the first thread or so you might be able to get by it,

It's what i would try by no means the correct way but if i was on site without taps etc i would give it a go if it still won't go in straight then you can always but a tap.

Personally I'd buy a set of taps as they are invaluable for cleaning up threads, even if they're not damaged. But as suggested, the holes aren't blind, so you should be able to screw a bolt in from the back which should help ease the damaged threads back into shape.

Regarding the spring plates, the problem you'll have if they aren't level is that the camber will be uneven, even if you use the adjusters to bring the wheels to the same level. I can't picture in my head why this is the case, but it was the problem I had when my springplates popped off before I'd had a chance to mark a reference point. Try rotating one round a spline and see how the gap looks to the end stop.

Get HSS taps. The cheapo ones snap if you breathe on them and will be a bitch to get out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts