adjusting cab doors

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonnyvolks73

Reaction score
Hi ,
Anyone had any problems getting there door to shut properly .. My van has just been painted and has two imported rust free doors on .. now i have come to put it all back together and after building up the cab door and adjusting then adjusting and adjusting some more but i still cant get the catch to clear the door post .. (already scratched my new paint :cry: ) It is only just about 2 ml out as you can shut the door of you lift it slightly when closing ..

Is there a knack or techneque to setting them up ?

Hope the door is not bent or something :( :(

cheers

think its just a case of trial and error. ive had my doors of and on a few times during my resto. The hinges dont sit right up against he a post so i ended up wedging a screw driver (wide blade) beyween the hinge and post in order o tighten it in place. Otherwise it kept trying to move.

Either tap the top hinge plate towards the front or the lower hinge plate towards the rear, this should lift the rear corner of the door up slightly.
You could also fit some packing between the door hinge and hinge plate to adjust the fit.

had a similar problem with a mates latebay and he ended up using a shim on the hinge to build it up.

I think VW had the same problem! I've seen some vans with neat shims that had been there from new - always behind the bottom hinge. I bet there's a part number for them.

I had to shim up my door (mainly bottom hinges) to get them to line up correctly and to be honest there still not perfect but at least they open and close without catching

i cheated ..............i went to my local paint shop and got the lad who fits all the bmws and audi etc after they have been painted ,as a cash in hand job on a saturday morning cost me fifty quid but the best money ive spent ,he spent an hour and half on the first door ( i would of gone mental ) then 5 mins on the other door , 15 on sliding , 10 on tail gate 5 on engine lid .................heres the results .....no chips perfect shut lines best fifty squid ive spent !!!
and my sanity saved !!!!!!!!!!!
rear.jpg

5.jpg

100_1294-1.jpg

regards
chris

Latest posts