advice on typ4 engine

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melod

Reaction score
my friends... i'm full of unanswered questions.
Last year i had to change my engine. it was really a wreck... i went to an old guy to rebuilt it. he used to work here in porsche, so i trusted him...
He say my engine block was ruined and i had to get a new one... he said he had a typ4 engine there, from a 411 i think. So he could use the 411 block (or case, dont know the technical term) and use the remaining parts of my old engine.
Is this possible? did he ripped me off, or this is possible? if he used the typ4 engine block, i dont think is possible to use the original engine cylinder heads... but i am really a newbie on engines...
i will meet him next saturday and i want to be ready... he says he has te remaining parts of the typ4 engine. if all of this is true, i will try to bargain with him to put the typ4 engine completed with 2 carbs on my van

please help me. and sorry for the confusion...

is it for your light blue bus in your blog ?

Your bus should have a type1 engine, with upright cooling.

Type4 engines have flat cooling (we call them pancakes here).

It is possible to fit a type 4 into your 69' bus, but only if the cooling is converted to type1 style (upright),
and you can not just take parts from your type1 engine (you can actually only use the cooling house)
you have to buy or create a lot of special parts..not that wild itself..but not super simple

I have not heard of anyone combining type1 engine parts with type4 engine parts.
What will he use from your old engine?

As you are not a motorguy..i would go for a 50 hp type1 engine. It is important that your engine case has the 3 holes for your engine bar.
just my opinion:)

R

yes it is for the light blue.
i have already the engine. for me it is a type 1 engine, but the guy says it is a type4. saturday i will talk to him. i would like to know these things so that i could talk to him and be certain of what i am saying...
he used many stuff. if looks like the normal engine really...

there is not one piece of a type 4 engine that will fit on a type 1. Maybe some screws and bolts maybe..

hi. i was searching and found that car type4 used a typ4 engine. at least wikipedia says so...
i think the old man made me spend money for nothing...

the engine mechanical parts are not interchangeable, but there is a conversion that puts a type 1 upright cooling system on to a type 4 engine, see The Type VI Upright Conversion Manual written by Joe Cali, or link here
http://www.nextgen-usa.com/

Latest posts