Advice required on selling my Bay

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ciderbay

Reaction score
Hi All,

It may look like i'm new to the forum but just an old member who's not been on here for a few years and couldn't remember my login details :roll:

Any how on with the questions:

Out of the blue our landlords have decided to put our house up for sale and we are in need of releasing some cash quickly to either buy our own place or fund another move to a rented place with all the costs involved so I need to sell my 71 Westy to release said cash, however i'm in a conundrum as the Bay is currently a non runner due to a knackered engine from overheating caused by a blocked fan.

The question is should I advertise it as a non runner with a reduction in price to cover someone else getting the engine done (whats the cost of a 1.6 engine inc installation?)

or

Should I get the engine done beforehand and sell it as a runner?

Would I lose more than the value of the engine if I tried to sell it as a non runner?

Its a 1971 California import full westfalia interior and was valued at over £17k back in 2010 when we got it, I have no idea of what prices they are going for these days or how much a new engine would be, it may only need a bottom end replacing as I replaced the pistons, barrels and heads but on starting it up it sounded like a bag of spanners in a washing machine (something called rod slap I think).

Thanks in advance

Peter

Post some pictures up of current condition and people will be able to advise. I'd have thought that it will always be worth getting it running, as it is a gamble buying anything that cannot be taken for a test drive, and has the added complication of needing a trailer to get it home. Maybe look for a good secondhand engine as they're pretty easy to fit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What's required to get the engine running again?
New crank and pistons/barrels?
Would be worth more as a running bus and new/replacement engine will be at least £1000 for anything worth fitting unless you can get a decent long block and fit all your ancillary items to it

As said post some pics and we will do our best

Worth more running, pop up a wanted add on here to see if there's one available near you. It must be some van if it was valued at £17K ten years ago. If it's as good as it sounds and with a decent runner of an engine and this is the right time of year, it may fetch twenty plus maybe even twenty five. No engine ,,, is a different ball game, ten to twelve if you are very lucky.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,, that's two bigso extremes.

Get it running if you can. Its worth more but it also opens the market right up to potential buyers.

Latest posts