After fitting twin carbs......

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dean

Reaction score
Do i need to re time the engine? It was set up fine with the original carb but now that i have fitted the ict's it is very underpowered, even though i have upgraded the jets as per instructions for the air cooled engine set up.

Might seem like a daft question but before i go playing with the carbs i want to be sure.

make sure everthing is back the way it was before you started,before you start playing with things......leads etc i didnt when i converted mine from a single to a twin

Hi

To gain full benefit of those ICTs you really need a trip to your local rolling road. You can statically time it up and set the fueling, but the only way to make sure the jets are correct is to test under load.......it will add a few hundred pounds to your costs but money well spent!!!!

My ICTs came from Eurocarb with the 'correct' jets for my 1600SP engine, but this was found to be too lean so were changed, also i had a distributor issue that was rectified, all helping to get the most in power and economy out of your upgrade......

Just

Creation, where was the rolling road you used? If i'm not mistaken your in Bristol which isn't that far from me and i have no idea where there is a rolling road nearer to me.

Dean said:
Creation, where was the rolling road you used? If i'm not mistaken your in Bristol which isn't that far from me and i have no idea where there is a rolling road nearer to me.

Interpro is in Thornbury North of Bristol, Jason is the guy you need to ask for. He will first check and adjust your valves, then engine compression to make sure everything is in good health, check the points and timing before finnally getting on the rollers................then the jets usually get binned for suitable alternatives that suit the needs of your bus and the first dyno readout. All money well spent IMO 8)

Just

Interpro is in Thornbury North of Bristol, Jason is the guy you need to ask for. He will first check and adjust your valves, then engine compression to make sure everything is in good health, check the points and timing before finnally getting on the rollers................then the jets usually get binned for suitable alternatives that suit the needs of your bus and the first dyno readout. All money well spent IMO 8)

How long did they have the van for? Did they supply the jets for your carbs or did you buy them and they fit them?

Only asking because i don't want to go and spend £40 ish on more jets, fit them and to then have them replaced again

Dean said:

How long did they have the van for? Did they supply the jets for your carbs or did you buy them and they fit them?

Only asking because i don't want to go and spend £40 ish on more jets, fit them and to then have them replaced again

I was expecting it to take just a couple of hours so i stayed, but in actual fact i was there most of the day :shock: I had a SP distributor that was Vac advance only and the engine really needed the Vac & Mech advance unit, so Jason made me one out of various Dizzy's laying about........this and the Jets were all supplied.........but, dont think it will come for free :lol: I thought it was money well spent as my engine now runs great and i know the compression ect is all healthy.

Just

Rolling road is a great idea, well worth the money, but to make the most of your money and spend less time there, do a full set up first. Check and adjust your valves, balance the carbs properly, check and adjust your dwell (if using points) and check and adjust your timing. Do the timing dynamically if you can, 30 to 32 deg at 3000 rpm. (No more than 32 deg). Also worth checking your install for air leaks as well. Whilst the engine is running, spray some carb cleaner or something similar around the manifold joints. If there is an air leak the idle will pick up noticably for a moment. If you don't correct any leaks then your mixture will be well off and you run the risk of running lean and damaging your engine.

Latest posts