Ahhhh petrol

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shiplee123

Reaction score
null_zpsf693b56c.jpg

So I jump in the bus after work today and drove just a couple of miles down the road as I've been recommended a local chap who can weld in my seat belt mounting points. When I got there I had this strange urge to check the engine bay. To my horror there was petrol dripping from the carb. I took my hoody off and wiped the petrol up which continued dripping for a bit . I only just replaced the fuel lines.
I spoke to the welding chap and that's all booked for 1-2 weeks
Lucky there was another garage and an old chap who used to work on vw said something about a drop pin or something at top of carb may be stuck ???
Anyway he gave it a tap n said would b fine to drive home. When I got back ahhh more petrol. Rang my vw mechanic who popped round After work. Told me to order a carb rebuild kit which I'll order Tom.
Otherwise a productive trip out lol

Looks like it's out the spindle, I had this before when I had the fuel pressure set too high on an electric pump. Either the needle valve stuck open or a broken float would do the same I think so a rebuild sounds a good bet :)

Freaked me out a bit
What do u get in a rebuild kit?
Would I get everything I needed if the float was broken etc ?

You don't get a new float in the kits and I've just checked the usual suspects and can't seem to find one so not sure where you get them from! You could take the top off and have a look to see if it's sunk or worn. You may damage the gasket though but if it's leaking I guess you are unlikely to ne driving anywhere

This happened to me before . It was coming from the spindle . So I just replaced the bushes for brass ones and it fixed to issue .

I got the bushes of eBay , I will look for the seller and post it

*edit http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271193644855?redirect=mobile" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hope the link works

I would try this first . IMHO

vw heritage do complete carbs if you need them just take the info of the side of the carb, solex pict 31 for example, the kits come with new gasket etc. got mine from them and its been great, not the cheapest option but the easiest by far

So if I was to order a repare kit from Jk or vwh etc do they sell bushes also. Guess I should ask when I ring u. A new replacement carb would b lovely but just can't keep spending . It's not just 100s now but 1000 s so gotta draw a line somewhere lol

shiplee123 said:
So if I was to order a repare kit from Jk or vwh etc do they sell bushes also. Guess I should ask when I ring u. A new replacement carb would b lovely but just can't keep spending . It's not just 100s now but 1000 s so gotta draw a line somewhere lol

In my opinion try the bushes first as would be a cheap fix , if it does not solve the issue go for the rebuild kit .

your best bet for the bushes is off ebay a guy on there sells them there brass, my carb was leaking in the exact same place and when i took the old plastic bushes out they where both split, the guy gives you step by step instructions with the bushes so you can't go far wrong plus there only about £5.00 i think from memory, they stopped the leaks on mine!

shiplee123 said:

feel your pain buddy, just to get mine usable has cost 1800 so far and i haven't really touched the mechanics so far, but its a labor of love

Rebuild and bushes should sort it no probs, just do it slowly and have a can of carb cleaner available to clean up any gunk.
Within about an hour youll be sorted. Just take care when taking the brass screws out of the butterfly, mine were very stiff!

Latest posts