Air filter Pancake vs Stock oil bath

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Htotheunit

Reaction score
Hello there,

I've heard differing opinions on this subject, And i have both types of filter lying about the house. What are the pros and cons of both these types of filter?
:eek:

The original oil one is the best by design, but i had a pancake one fitted for years without anytrouble. :mrgreen:

I'd always avoid the pancake type - VW spent a lot of time and effort getting the stock filter just right! (I know - that arguement could apply to suspension etc too!) - I ran a pancake filter on my first bug and found that it iced up often - never again!!!

;)

Theres a lot going on in that original set-up as opposed to the straight blow through of the pancake.
On a stock lump, id use the stock filter. ;)

Definitely stock with ANY single carb.

Otherwise, if you drive it in all weathers, it'll ice up no end. My bay I used to have to pull over on the hard shoulder of the motorway, and turn off the engine for a few minutes when the temps were below 0, to allow heat to rise up through the engine before carrying on again. Otherwise it'd slowly grind to a halt.

It runs 100 times nicer with the proper filter on there. :) - they are also more efficient at actually filtering air, too ;)

As i originally said a stock one will rule the day, but i used my van as a daily for a good few years, single carb fitted with a pancake and never had any probs with icing or anything. Just one of the lucky ones i spose ;)

changed my pancake for stock early this year. used to get icing with the pancake. seems to run better with the stock one.

I had a pancake filter on my old engine. Dunno why, but on reflection i would say standard motor, standard filter. Tbh it sounded like a chavy saxo with an induction kit from argos. Got Twin webers with K'N filters now, sound much better and they keep the shite out too lol

Latest posts