Airspeed no more?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
good luck. as stated above there are some good checks that you should do, dont forget to check timing gaps etc also.

assume nothing and you should be fine.

mjknight71 said:
why wont anyone touch it?

Surely so long as your expectations are realistic, there should be no probelm...if you ask a builder to strip and rebuild.....the level they check is the level of their responsibility....if they don't split the case their offering a top end etc....

..if your asking them to do a limited check on a (rumoured to be) poor engine builders work and say it is ok then that is understandable they dont want to touch it

I guess things have changed alot now they have folded. previously though ppl didnt want to touch it as that ment there was posibilty that they might have to deal with them, or something goes wrong and they get the flack.

my expectations are realistic, in my case ive been bitten i expect it to cost top dollar to do a proper job, get it all measured and re built right. in my case now, the disapointment is that i cant afford to get into a situation where the engine is stripped and i get the news that xyz is broke and needs replacing.. i guess i either wait, save up and get the engine in this winter for the job right or buy a book and learn myself now

But with a (small) finite amount of time available the best choice looks like a TES 1600tp; will this inevitably end in tears?

I've had two TES engines now (silver 1600 for my old fastback, 1641 big bore plus for my bus) and both have been fine, reliable engines. Sure someone will be along to contradict though, it seems a bit hit and miss whichever engine you buy and I have personally heard of problems with engines even from the most reputable of builders.

bananacustard said:
But with a (small) finite amount of time available the best choice looks like a TES 1600tp; will this inevitably end in tears?

I've had two TES engines now (silver 1600 for my old fastback, 1641 big bore plus for my bus) and both have been fine, reliable engines. Sure someone will be along to contradict though, it seems a bit hit and miss whichever engine you buy and I have personally heard of problems with engines even from the most reputable of builders.

That's good to hear. Someone else is recommending them to me, and he warned me off Airspeed less than 2 weeks ago, so I'm starting to feel pretty happy with this course of action. Thanks for the comment, it all helps.

WHeritage's new ones........or their REMTEC ones.... :?

http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_parts_VW-Heritage-Engines_act_page.render_pageID_834_lang_EN_country_GB.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1776 on SSVC for £2200 I think....

:mrgreen:

Latest posts