1969 Devon (bought it, not built it!)

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kid rock

Reaction score
Well guys I sold my house a year ago and thought I would buy myself a nice early bay. So I saw Matt_b had a full resto Devon for sale. Believe me the work on it is top notch!

As I have no garage to work out of at the moment, I thought it would be just the ticket! Deal done and 1 happy family.

There was a whine on the gearbox. It turned out to be a worn/bent finger on the clutch release. I've sorted out a few other bits on it and been on literely 2 road trips. I noticed the engine ran fairly hot......

I drove to the local town and on the way home the flywheel fell off! My wife had to drag the bus home. She could hardly hold her hand still by the time we got back! Drilled the old dowels out and torqued it back on.

Next I set off for Dubs int Dales. A 40 mile trip. As I hadn't done any servicing I changed the oil and filter before going.

When I got there my daughter of 5 told me that there was a noise from the engine! I found the bottom pulley was loose. Tightened it and started it back up. The noise was still there! Let it cool down and tried again. No better. Checked the oil and there was no oil on the dipstick!

Got recovered home and fell out with the bus!

As I have been off over Christmas I thought I would drop it out and have a look. So far I have found a piece of mig wire in the sump! There are various bits of tinware missing and I am just going out to split it. I'll post some piccys as soon as I can.

IMG_20150103_153611_zpsfjnzbj70.jpg

I know this isn't the previous owners fault, but he paid a big chunk of money to Airspeed UK. And once again the bloke has used Stevie Wonder to do the spannering!

Sorry for droning on, but if you are going to get an engine built, please do the research. I hope this guy gets what he deserves! Richard Trent if you are going to build engines for a living do it right or don't bother!

Rant over!

Catch ya kids!

Well it's stripped! Found the following:

IMG_20150103_162047_zpsxrmkkitc.jpg

There seems to be excessive amounts of oil round the lower breather, plus the barrels were leaking.

IMAG0200_zpsvhi13x2d.jpg

Dunno what's going on there! All the pushrods are marked. Bugger!

IMAG0203_zpsermsyeib.jpg

Cam follower looking rather sick!

IMAG0199_zpsknopwhha.jpg

Swarf in the oil galleries..... Hmmmmm

There was no thermostat or flaps either!

So much for a "plug in and play" ride!

ouch! that's not looking good at all. looks like its an autolinia case, they need quite a bit of work opening up galleries to come anywhere near as good as a VW case.

Yep it is, I am just on getting some galley plugs sorted. I am curious to see if there is any other swarf in there. The oil pressure was rather low when I last ran it, so just gonna start again. :shock:

I guess that wasn't what you were expecting. I have never seen push rods with groves like that in before.

you gonna go for a full strip down and rebuild?

It's completely in bits now! I was thinking of going bigger, but there isn't enough clearance in the case for a larger crank. :(

And I can't be chewed with getting it sorted. I am gonna stick with 1955cc.

Well been looking at it again......

The main bearing dowels are smaller than they should be. Stock ones are 4.9mm, these are falling out of the holes! Plus they don't look like " off the shelf" dowels!

IMG_20150114_221547_zpstil3osfw.jpg

Here are the sizes....

IMG_20150114_225255_zps9tebf525.jpg

IMG_20150114_221507_zps5w3pjunr.jpg

Its not much and I know that the bearings are held in place when crushed by torquing the case together, but I am so glad I didn't plan a long trip with this ready to blow!

Wow, all that crap in the oil-ways! If I was you I would want to know who supplied the engine and show them those images and get to the bottom of how that happened. whether it was like that supplied from the manufacturer show them the pictures or whether it has been introduced by the mechanic who put it together?

Just try googling Richard Trent and vw airspeed........

Plus I've just dropped the flywheel off the crank and found there was 4 dowels snapped below the crank face end.

They are an interference fit and Scat dowels too. Therefore fairly hard and impossible to drill out.

A good engineer friend of mine has it to see if it is fixable.........

We'll see what happens!