All red rear lights

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gar

Reaction score
Hi,
Van going for mot next week. Got a LHD westy which has all red rear indicator/brake lights. Someone told me that this might be an mot fail. Is he right? :?

Depends on the tester really. Technically it should fail though :(

Yes it will fail as its after 1965 when the construction and use regs changed, personally I wouldn't run red indicators as it confuses other drivers and they don't tend to see them as indicators. Changing reverse lights to indicators is relatively easy but you do need to run a cable from the front of the bus to the brake lights, see the how to section for more info.

Mine has passed last 2 years running all red lenses. Depends on the tester i guess.

--------------------------------
Own a Bay?......Feel the love!

You can change the rear light from USA to UK without running a cable the length of the van.
Me and my dad used the following guide to do it, very simple and quick.
Just buy some repro bulb holders and a short length of twin flex and off you go.

http://www.busandcamper.com/67-13w-rear-light-rewire-for-euro-lights.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

*Sam* said:
You can change the rear light from USA to UK without running a cable the length of the van.
Just buy some repro bulb holders and a short length of twin flex and off you go.

http://www.busandcamper.com/67-13w-rear-light-rewire-for-euro-lights.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Still needs a cable run to the brake master cylinder which is at the front and this method doesn't always work as the hazard function on US buses can still interfere with it, the better method is to remove the lead off the hazard switch and connect that to the rear brakes then nothing else needs doing at the rear apart from swap the wires to the reverse lights and fit amber bulbs, no need for any bulb holders or anything.

Graham L said:
*Sam* said:

Still needs a cable run to the brake master cylinder which is at the front and this method doesn't always work as the hazard function on US buses can still interfere with it, the better method is to remove the lead off the hazard switch and connect that to the rear brakes then nothing else needs doing at the rear apart from swap the wires to the reverse lights and fit amber bulbs, no need for any bulb holders or anything.

If you want to retain your reversing lights which for me was a must then the link shows you how to do it without running a wire, you defiantly don't have to run a wire as i did exactly this conversion i didn't have an issue with the hazard function.

what issue dose it cause ?

Vw installed 2 wires for the tail lights, so you use one of these as a brake light supply negating the need to run a wire.

cheers
Sam

OG bulb holders mean that the brake and indicator bulb share a single filament, so thats a fail in itself as well as the red lense issue .... and is a bit iffy on UK roads anyway!

Many solutions are out there, it depends how (visibly) original you want to look. Ive done the reverse lights to indicator route.

Graham L said:
Yes it will fail as its after 1965 when the construction and use regs changed, personally I wouldn't run red indicators as it confuses other drivers and they don't tend to see them as indicators. Changing reverse lights to indicators is relatively easy but you do need to run a cable from the front of the bus to the brake lights, see the how to section for more info.

I considered doing this but when I rewired my bus I fitted a LHD euro spec loom there fore I need euro rear lights with a separate indicator bulb. I have all red lenses for the street (looks OG) but have a repro euro lenses for the MOT :mrgreen:

Thanks for the advice everyone. Will take it to the mot as it is as a couple of you managed to pass it with the all red lens. I was recomended this mot place as the tester likes classics especially camper vans. Might be lucky :?

mine passes with US spec lights - but i must get round to running the indicators in the reverse lights and upgrade the brake lights to LEDs, much safer :)

I have a cali import still running red rears the same as yours - passed the MOT fine as is. Only concern would be insurance company being funny in the event of a claim :? what with it not being road legal in the eyes of the law.

A risk we take i suppose... :msn4:

Sorry but I'm not sure we should be condoning breaking the law on this forum, the red rear indicators on any early bay are illegal, if your MOT tester chooses to pass them then he is risking his MOT licence and you are risking a fine and points for displaying incorrect rear lights, is it really worth it?

I know of 3 local MOT stations that have had recent VOSA visits and they can pull any vehicle thats been testing and leaving the premises for a retest and if it fails with the VOSA tester then the test centre is in trouble

My personal view is that this is a real safety issue, my first bus had red indicators and no one on the motorway would ever let me out, changed the reverse lights over to indicators and hey presto people let you out!!, whose fault is it going to be when someone has an accident and you are running illegal rear lamps?

Fair point stated there Graham and will consider some of the suggestions to sort out the lights for safety and peace of mind sake.

Gar said:
Fair point stated there Graham and will consider some of the suggestions to sort out the lights for safety and peace of mind sake.

Yeah, good point Graham. Thanks for pointing out the fact they may be illegal :roll:

yes with graham on that one ,its not as if its hard to do.if the testers pass things like this it make you wonder what else they let slip.could be the next rusty brake pipe that splits ends up in the back of your bus or worse running your missis and kids over .

With the good advice and safety aspect in this thread is it worth making it a sticky? This type of question comes up all the time but this thread seems to have the most concise answers.

Des

5erge said:
With the good advice and safety aspect in this thread is it worth making it a sticky? This type of question comes up all the time but this thread seems to have the most concise answers.

Des

Not a bad idea ;)

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=8176" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Latest posts