All red rear lights

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=8176" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
^^^^^pointless sticky as none of the"useful" links work anymore :roll:

Harlequin said:
http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=8176
^^^^^pointless sticky as none of the"useful" links work anymore :roll:

Yep, which is why I suggested making this as a sticky. :mrgreen:

Des

Hang on. A little more clarification is needed here.

Some snippets from the MOT testers handbook
http://motuk.co.uk/manual_140.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Vehicles first used before 1 September 1965 may have direction indicators incorporated with stop lamps, or combined with side or rear lamps, in which case front indicators may be white and rear indicators red.

A method of inspection
d. that every direction indicator emits amber light (except vehicles first used before 1 September 1965)

A reason for a fail
adversely affected by the operation of another lamp e.g. dual function lamps on foreign vehicles.

So US wired indicators are illegal. But if you adapt the wiring and use euro spec light backings then you can run red lenses.

All Red rear lenses are perfectly LEGAL if the indicators emit amber light. The colour of the lens doesn't matter at all. I've fitted amber LEDs behind my red lenses, they flash amber and therefore are legal.

Just did mine today and followed the link from Sam, it works a treat. Don't have to run a wire front to back or to the brake cylinder as it's all in the dash. Mine had a green wire going to the hazard switch took that off this is joined to the red black just behind the fuse box, disconected the grey black from fuse box and joined to the red black. Disconnected the grey black from the lights this will now be the brake light wire it will need splitting from the loom behind the rear right light (looking from the rear) and add an additional connection for that light, run a new cable from the right light or the rear tail gate light connect this to the red grey this is now the rear lights, the indicators stay the same. Fit the euro style bulb holder, use green indicator bulbs, you should be able to keep the red lenses as they flash orange.

Can post pics if you like

Green bulbs do the trick - get them off ebay.

You can keep your red rear US lenses - use the green bulb and the light will flash amber - try it , it works :D

I had this setup on my old US western panel.

Mike

Graham L said:
Yes it will fail as its after 1965 when the construction and use regs changed, personally I wouldn't run red indicators as it confuses other drivers and they don't tend to see them as indicators. Changing reverse lights to indicators is relatively easy but you do need to run a cable from the front of the bus to the brake lights, see the how to section for more info.

I'm not sure about it being included in the Construction & Use Regulations, but it's certainly included in the Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations.

Even if the MOT tester, wrongly passes your vehicle for it's MOT, you are still liable to a fixed penalty notice or worse from the traffic police!

RichardAlexander said:
Just did mine today and followed the link from Sam, it works a treat. Don't have to run a wire front to back or to the brake cylinder as it's all in the dash. Mine had a green wire going to the hazard switch took that off this is joined to the red black just behind the fuse box, disconected the grey black from fuse box and joined to the red black. Disconnected the grey black from the lights this will now be the brake light wire it will need splitting from the loom behind the rear right light (looking from the rear) and add an additional connection for that light, run a new cable from the right light or the rear tail gate light connect this to the red grey this is now the rear lights, the indicators stay the same. Fit the euro style bulb holder, use green indicator bulbs, you should be able to keep the red lenses as they flash orange.

Can post pics if you like

Hi mate. I'm struggling to do this correctly. Could you post pics and where did the green wire that goes to the hazard switch originate from? I dont get where this fits into the bus and camper article. Thanks. Chris.

it goes to the middle of hazard switch,could be yellow some are,on a us spec bus the front and rear indicators are wired seperatly so when the brake lights are on the front lights dont come on.look at a wiring diagram.the side lights are wired lh side to 1fuse and rh +no plate to other fuse,if you disconect wire at fuse box to left rear side and conect this to the green(or yellow)wire then that will give feed to the rear for brake lights,link back to other side.

The cable to the your brake lights goes to the yellow or green cable that was connected to pin 54 from memory of the hazard switch, it doesn't connect to the switch itself but the cable that was connected on that terminal so needs a male end on it to connect to the female connector that was on the switch.

Better to run a new wire, take the wire from the middle of the hazzard switch (yellow I think ) connect it to the new wire.
Im not keen on using one of the side light wires, VW wired it with two so if a fuse went you only lost rear lights on on side.

Latest posts