Alternator on the way out

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

67westy

Reaction score
I changed the bearings in my alternator last year as it developed a loud rumble. However there seems to be a fair bit of forwards/backwards play now and it makes a knocking noise when running. I seem to be shredding fan belts pretty quick as well:

Video of play (click to view)

Debris from the belt (this is after about 600 miles)

IMG_20150723_174354_zpsz1olowfw.jpg

I'm thinking a new alternator may be needed as the play is probably pulling the belt out of line causing it to wear quickly. Sound reasonable?

Doesnt look too clever - should have mentioned it this afternoon, could have checked it out!
If there is significant play it might shred the belt faster than normal but I bet it would have to be pretty bad
How is your bottom pulley? Guess there is no end float whatsoever being a brand new engine

Bottom one is all good, been like that for a while now. I get a lot of dust off the belt which I don't think is right

When you replaced the bearings did you put the spacers back in the bearing housings. With out these spacers the armature shaft will move back and forward causing the problems that you are having.
Robert

dustrat said:
When you replaced the bearings did you put the spacers back in the bearing housings. With out these spacers the armature shaft will move back and forward causing the problems that you are having.
Robert
To be honest I really can't remember but nothing was left over so I guess the answer is either yes or they weren't there to start with.

I guess it might be an idea to take the alternator out again. Hopefully a bit easier these days as I have gone twin carbs

Latest posts