Another 1968 Campmobile poptop, now in Denmark.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kleinbusRonnie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi there
Here is my June 68 Campmobile poptop, i've had it since March, but haven't done anything yet. ok i washed it, once:)
But in a month or two, my new garage in my backyard will be ready, it's 50m2, totally isolated (we have the same shitty weather here in dk).
Besides the westy, my 65' doubledoor standard will live there as well.
Can't wait to start on the westy, but here some pics of her as she looks today.
It's been living in California and Nevada until now. Picked up at the factory by the first owner(Tourist Delivery Program).
It's super dry, only found a small hole in battery tray, probably from battery acid.
Plan so far are:
Fix dent in left corner and sliding door.
Rebuild the brakes to late bay, so i can have disc brakes up front.
Open engine and check it out, it runs ok, and feels fresh, but a look doesn't hurt. Anyway it need a lot of cleaning of grease.
Check everything else downunder and replace if necessary.
Rustprevention, might use Fertan and waxoil it afterwards.
Fresh it up inside; new covers on seats, new floor, and curtains..asked my wife to work covers and curtains out..she have stated: Will not be mustard coloured, that's for sure.
The furnitures needs a bit of glue, sanded inside, and a lot of tee molding.
Well, she is a driver right now, so after the technical upgrade, the rest of the fixing up, will be along the way.

cheers
Ronnie
Copenhagen
Denmark

some pics:

oops; seems like there no space at the server at the moment?

So i placed a few on muchos

Westy%20(5).jpg

Westy%20(1).jpg

Westy%20(6).jpg

Westy%20(2).jpg

Westy%20(12).jpg

Ronnie

Welcome :D

Looks like its nice and clean and tidy so should be a nice project to work on - so jealous of the purpose made garage ;).

Keep the pics coming as I like to see what people do and how they do it (to their bus!!!) :D

Yes, i hope my garage ends up being something to be jealous over, haha.
I've been into VW's since the mid nineties, and always rented garages far from home, so finally getting a garage in my backyard is a bit of a dream coming through.
Both my 65's splitty and my 56' oval(just sold to Netherlands) have been 100% restorations, I've spent years on cold floors and cold garages, so it was important for me to get the garage isolated, so i can work on the westy in wintertime.
Well, here is some pics of the garage project, got a good price from carpenter, so all i have to do is the electrical and inside walls. And paint floor etc.
It is often you reach the attachment quota??? i' ll just use Muchos again:
old_garage_1.jpg

old_garage_2.jpg

Picture%20084%20(Medium).jpg

Ronnie

welcome,nice van and soon to be big garage,the only trouble with a big garage you just fill it with more stuff :D love Denmark i've family who live just outside Esjberg fantastic beaches :)

Nice garage (that sounds so sad :shock: ) - like you say, better ti be around the corner from where you live - I work outside!

Thanks, for your words :mrgreen:
Working outside !!! yes, only in summertime please..all that fuckin' rain in dk ..

. used to rent a 60 m2 garage..took me months to move all the stuff....gotta try to keep it down..

Besides the dent in rear left corner and bad repair on sliding door, i thinks its a nice bus.
All the important stuff was there, the child cot, the stool, the insect net, the upper cot, the sink and so on.
But it still needs a lot of fiddling to become a bus i trust.
As an example, the ignition is done by pressing a door bell! ..it works ok. But i have an nos ignition waiting on the shelf
First time i touched the rear view mirror it broke apart, luckily one of my friends had a spare, as it is a 68' only. (the arm is of metal and longer)
And the brakes are even worse than the ones of my split bus,
I can drive it around at the moment, but would never pass danish mot.
The good thing is that it runs good and strong, with the kadron set on, also have electronic ignition.
So i just think i will take all the 'usual suspects' apart, and renew the most of it.
Did that with my splitbus, and converted it to straight axle btw.. now it drives like I want it. Have had it for almost 10 years.
Been in Germany, Sweden, Norway, Netherland and also south of England in it(met a lot of nice english bus owners everywhere)
Done appx 35k km in my splitbus and appx 55k in my oval..so like to use them.

Some more pics of the westy.
Westy%20(3)%20(Medium).jpg

Westy%20(10).jpg

Westy%20(15).jpg

Here is the stamp the first owner got at the factory, when picking the bus up..think of that back in 68..this guy went on holiday in a brand new westy!!
Westy%20(9)%20(Medium).jpg

Nice sticker, i have tried to check out what it stands for, but have no idea..anyone of guys know??
Westy%20(4)%20(Medium).jpg

Question;
It seems like the sink in my 'sink furniture' have been replaced by some stainless steel, with no water outlet()drain.
But when i look down under, there is no place for an outlet??
Westy%20(16)%20(Medium).jpg

Westy%20(17)%20(Medium).jpg

Does anyone have a good source to buy new tee moldings in correct colour. Think i need for all the furnitures, so its some meters in total.
I've seen GoWesty has some, but is in Us and might end up being
very expensive, as our danish customs want's a part of the cake, when ever it's outside EU..
see the pics why i need new moldings
Westy%20(18).jpg

And finally, does anyone have a list of what's distinctive for an 68' westy..like the sink, the rear mirror, the raised part above speedo pot and ??

Ronnie

Little update

Haven't done much on the bus, ok been gluing the sink furniture and ordered T-molding* for that and the rest of the furnitures.
Well, then it's good my carpenter been busy in the backyard, this is how the new garage looks like now, really looking forward to the coming week, might be close to finished outside next weekend.

100.jpg

This height should make it possible to work on a westy.

Ronnie

* bought it from chewie at ssvc.

Certainly will be a good size when finished - so jealous :mrgreen:

oh boy time are going fast.
i'll guess i need a bit of updating here
Well, my garage is finished, at least outside part from carpenter.
We agreed that i would do all the work inside.
So i have totally isolated it, put on some 15 mm birch plates, and wired the cables for 220 and 380V (still need to hook it all up...not by me..a pro will do the last part)

Still need to organize it all, get some proper heat, and paint the floor etc.
But at least i have both my buses at home and hopefully i can start to work on them this month.

The westy does drive real nice, but all brakes are totally weared out, and all the rubber parts down under need to be replaced
My simple plan is to make it ready for mot test, with drum brakes, no slamming, no sound proofing..just legal.
I have to weight the bus at the mot, and the actual weight need to be as low as possible!
Due to 2 rules:
Rule 1: we pay a penalty tariff for every km/l the bus run shorter than 16 km/l, appx 120 £ and as the old busses are not easy to guess real consumption on, they have a formel where the weight is a part of.
Rule 2 : the road tax is also dependent om weight, the ligther the cheaper.

Here are pics of the garage so far..
westy01.jpg

Inside: My westy can stand with poptop up :)
westy02.jpg

My 65' doubledoor split is also home, have had it for 10 years now..at the moment is does drive a lot better than the westy.
Ok, it's with dropped spindles, straightaxle 1500 gearbox and a fire engine 1600..so it runs so much smoother than as og.
westy04.jpg

Getting ready to organize tools, the table is electrical slam/raise type.
westy05.jpg

For bits and bobs:
westy06.jpg

For the westy being i did manage to check the floor the other day, started by removing the furnitures:
westy07.jpg

The dark part is due to someone that spilled auto shampoo way back, the bus had this 'smelly , i was curious if it had ruined some of the floor down under. (the bottom of the bed must be replaced, its totally destroyed by that shampoo)
westy09.jpg

No worries, only a lot of crap:
westy10.jpg

After a initial clean-up, didn't have a vacuum cleaner around, but it shows that this bus is absolutely dry !
westy12.jpg

westy13.jpg

Later i will post more pictures, now i know how photobucket works!
Ronnie

Glad to see an update from you ;)

Garage looks very good (so jealous) and once trimmed out inside will be the dogs danglies.......

Here is a little update on the sink.
The right flip table was really tired, but the top looked fine, so i simply replaced the bad part:
old gnarly underside:
westy28.jpg

Peeled it off:
westy29.jpg

cut a new one of 3 mm plywood: (its the top of the spicerack..still need to cut a new top)
westy27.jpg

A little bit of glue, remember to use outdoor woodglue..and a lot of pressure:
westy30.jpg

Gave it a light coat of stain to make it look older
westy31.jpg

initial test try of new T-molding
westy32.jpg

Ronnie

Yet another furniture repair guy :shock:

Very nice repair Ronnie on the table bottom - very impressed ;)

Latest posts