Another white westy - Busted again!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
*Sam* said:
Nice one Darius, where do the pipes exit the inside if the bus to the dampers ?

Hello Sam,
Its to the left of the shock tower, I could have used a t-piece outside and just had 1 hose going through but wanted to hide as much as possible.

Also that gauge is of an old tyre inflater, but i'll have a nice new twin needle one soon. :D

Looking good mate, like the idea of the Disco Air Compressor, should have plenty of lift for a westy compared to a 2.5 tonne 4 x4.

Graham L said:
Looking good mate, like the idea of the Disco Air Compressor, should have plenty of lift for a westy compared to a 2.5 tonne 4 x4.

It is good Graham, it has a filter and an air scrubber?

Do your shocks fit now?

Yes they do mate with no scuffing or anything :), rides a hell of a lot better as well.

I've only driven it a short distance so far, plan to put some miles on it over the weekend before ninove but the combination of correct lower arms and late bay steering box felt good :), I think there are at least 2 others on the forum that may have similar issues so i can put them in touch if you like?

radish said:
1st of a few updates, i've been busy upgrading the hose for the monroes shocks.
6mm hose, push in fittings, gauge and solenoid valve along with a landrover discovery compressor.

The original Monroe hose leaks which i did manage to stop with some rubber o rings (i have hundreds if anyone wants some) but decided i wanted to put shocks on the rear too so valves were needed, Airtac all the way from china are the brand of choice also the cheapest on ebay. I made the adaptors month ago and found most of the fittings in a pile at work heading for the bin!!
The landy compressor was £10 off ebay and works great. All this has cost me less than £100 mainly because i bought 2 pairs of shocks and sold 1 on.
when i get the wheels back on i will take somes photos of the bus. I will be fiting the rears after VOWO ready for the summer.

Next is fitting the eberspacher and clearing the shit that has been dumped in the bus over the winter.

Hi!

Been following your thread with interest - I have a set of front and rear Monroe air dampers, control guage and compressor, so read with interest your set up. I have yet to fit the system to my bus which is stock, and just want air for towing (and a little lift), as mine suffers from "Westy Saggy Arse Syndrome"

So the standard monroe fitting kit is pants? :roll: Guess what i have....

So what adaptors/seals/pipe etc to i need to make a better job of it like you?

I hope to fit my system ready for summer, so would love any tips, or suppliers details so i can get it nice and proper.

I have had the system for well over a year, so it's time i got it sorted....

Cheers!

Alistair

aogrady said:
radish said:
1st of a few updates, i've been busy upgrading the hose for the monroes shocks.
6mm hose, push in fittings, gauge and solenoid valve along with a landrover discovery compressor.

The original Monroe hose leaks which i did manage to stop with some rubber o rings (i have hundreds if anyone wants some) but decided i wanted to put shocks on the rear too so valves were needed, Airtac all the way from china are the brand of choice also the cheapest on ebay. I made the adaptors month ago and found most of the fittings in a pile at work heading for the bin!!
The landy compressor was £10 off ebay and works great. All this has cost me less than £100 mainly because i bought 2 pairs of shocks and sold 1 on.
when i get the wheels back on i will take somes photos of the bus. I will be fiting the rears after VOWO ready for the summer.

Next is fitting the eberspacher and clearing the shit that has been dumped in the bus over the winter.

Hi!

Been following your thread with interest - I have a set of front and rear Monroe air dampers, control guage and compressor, so read with interest your set up. I have yet to fit the system to my bus which is stock, and just want air for towing (and a little lift), as mine suffers from "Westy Saggy Arse Syndrome"

So the standard monroe fitting kit is pants? :roll: Guess what i have....

So what adaptors/seals/pipe etc to i need to make a better job of it like you?

I hope to fit my system ready for summer, so would love any tips, or suppliers details so i can get it nice and proper.

I have had the system for well over a year, so it's time i got it sorted....

Cheers!

Alistair

Alistair

You can buy the hose and fittings here - http://www.advancedfluidsolutions.co.uk/pneumatic-products-165-c.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I used 6mm hose and fittings, you may see other air ride kits with 10mm but i don't have a tank or need fast supply so the 6mm is fine for me.

Decide on the route of your lines the you will know what fittings to get, i would guess at 5 x straight and 3 t-piece. If you then want valve's which with 4 shocks is a good idea then another 8 x straight fittings.
you will need some adaptors to be made to go from the monroe fitting to the new push fit.
I'll find a link to the valves i have.

If you want to try the monroe hose kits i can send you some of the o-rings for the postage cost, which worked well or use the above.

Cheers Darius

drew n steph said:
Nice work! Thought about the land rover compressor myself until sourced a viair and tank from someone.

Viair are very good, but as my shocks only lift about 2" I didn't want to spend that sort of money.
When I fit the rears and mod a tank I've found then I may have to get one.

After the my first real big trip to Ninove this weekend, I can only praise the shocks for the comfort.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300825857790?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

These are the valves i used, they work fine. buy 4 and you can bolt them together.

Alistair

You can buy the hose and fittings here - http://www.advancedfluidsolutions.co.uk/pneumatic-products-165-c.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I used 6mm hose and fittings, you may see other air ride kits with 10mm but i don't have a tank or need fast supply so the 6mm is fine for me.

Decide on the route of your lines the you will know what fittings to get, i would guess at 5 x straight and 3 t-piece. If you then want valve's which with 4 shocks is a good idea then another 8 x straight fittings.
you will need some adaptors to be made to go from the monroe fitting to the new push fit.
I'll find a link to the valves i have.

If you want to try the monroe hose kits i can send you some of the o-rings for the postage cost, which worked well or use the above.

Cheers Darius

Thanks for that, I'll take a look - it looks a little complicated :?: I would prefer to be able to aid air to either the front or the rear, so may look into getting a dual gauge control rather than the single i have.

Why do i need valves? is it to stop air from one side to another when cornering?

I need to read more up on this....not sure what i need to be honest...

Cheers,

Alistair

I think you need the valves so that you pump up each shock individually or in pairs.
I'm sure darius can give you a better explanation

You could use 2 valve 1 front and 1 rear. It allows you to do exactly what you want. I have a switch for the pump and a switch for the valve. Air up valve down simples, the valve is essentially a switch that release the air 2 wires to fit.
Using the standard Monroe hoses the only way to release the air is to pull a hose.
I have a dual gauge and rear shocks to collect from Sam at vowo.

Latest posts