Another white westy - Busted again!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Radish, thanks for the steering box conversion guide!
I'm considering fitting a new TWR (lhd) late bay steering box to my 68 bus. The TWR box actually looks very similar to an early bay box, I don't think the large square hole would be needed in the chassis leg.
Am I right in thinking that the early bay steering drop arm doesn't fit a late box? Does the early bay steering column clamp fit the late box?

Cheers.

68 bus said:
Radish, thanks for the steering box conversion guide!
I'm considering fitting a new TWR (lhd) late bay steering box to my 68 bus. The TWR box actually looks very similar to an early bay box, I don't think the large square hole would be needed in the chassis leg.
Am I right in thinking that the early bay steering drop arm doesn't fit a late box? Does the early bay steering column clamp fit the late box?

Cheers.

Your right, the arm needs to be off a late bus but the splines may be different between a ZF and TWR box. Check on latebay.com
All the steering is the same.

And i can now confirm it works, steering is nice and light with no play.

Thanks for that, glad to here it's working well.

I think the TWR box is meant to be a direct swap for any late bay (lhd) box, so a late bay arm should fit.

Cheers.

radish said:
I have connected it all up and it is super smooth with no slipping at either end, this was standing still hoorah. I will test drive it tomorrow, looks very promising.

eyelid? house? we need to catch up i think dude

20120531_211429.jpg

This is the bit i had to cut to make the box fit, i started to spray waxoly but had a mishap with the nozzle so its a bit thick here.

Good work with the steering box conversion. Seeing how reasonably straight forward it has got me thinking that I need to do the same thing to mine.

Looking on the Heritage and JK website I see that you can buy brand new steering boxes for left hookers -72 and up. Do you happen to know whether this is the equivalent to the box that you fitted and therefore similar mods required?

Cheers

Ian

gra yes im very glad now mate.

Barrett if the mot fella and i had caps on the photo would have looked just like that. there where hi 5'S FROM the tates car show room too, it was like winning a gold medal.

J BBQ would be good down the beach one evening.

Going to Stuttgart for a week or so next week, but pretty much any evening after the 8th would be OK. Are you going to http://www.thesvwoc.org.uk/main_pages/svwoc_summer_festival.html#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; on the 11/12th?

very interesting! Can I confirm then that if I have an early 72 crossover and a late bay zf steering box the only thing needed doing to swap over would be the hole in the chassis???

Or is there an arm or something else that needs changing?

Yup, you just need to complete the mods to the chassis. The mods include making a larger hole in the chassis and the re-positioning of two of the mounting holes.

I too have done this mod to my bus using a new box and it was all pretty straight forward and well worth doing. I have a series of pictures which I'll post when I can find the memory card they're stored on...............

what if you only have the steering box... ? Does the arm thing off early steering box not work...? So we do need to do more than just holes?? where do you get arm things from.. Normal vw places from new eg JK or second hand only?

For pitman arms and the securing nuts try Mega-Bug. I think I paid 30 quid. They will be second hand but these parts aren't susceptible to wearing. Just give the splines a good clean before fitting and maybe a smear of copperslip grease and away you go.

Ian

Latest posts