Any Vespa geniuses genii? on here?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsunamivw

Reaction score
Posted this on a Vespa forum just wondering if any early bayers can help. by the way I think the garage are 100% sound

Hi, a little (Ha Ha) background to begin, I bought a PX125 with a 166 malossi kit and enough chrome to keep any magpie happy about two weeks ago. Then it went downhill, 1st the clutch went, turned out not to be a simple adjustment but a split case - sorted now I could change gear and sit at first at the lights without crawling, great. So I went for a spin over Rivington to see how she rode, fantastic, super quick, powered up the hills lovely - until I set off for home and the power started fading (it felt like no fuel) So back it went to the long suffering and frustrated garage. The carb was loose but didn't sort it so they stripped the electrics, plugs, fuel and lots more until it started running ok again. Great I set off home in the drizzle, not for long though, about 4 miles from the garage and coincidentally 4 miles from home it died, again seemed like no fuel - But wouldn't turn over at all, wouldn't start on the button or the kick, garage said leave it 5 mins and tray again - no joy so AA to the garbage 2.5 hours in the drizzle and an hour late for work but hey ho. Called the garage - its not good they said, went to see them. Malossi piston busted and the cylinder has a chunk missing, not scored but it looks like the piston hit the side of the cylinder and got stuck and the bits broke off in the engine. So the garage try to change the piston and cylinder for a standard one to get me going - no joy engine is dead.So new casings, bearings, gaskets etc, stock piston and cylinder and cannibalised my old engine for anything good that was left. I looking for the silver lining, I'll have a bulletproof stock engine, it won't be fast but it will get me there
Except it won't - on the way home it keeps cutting out, exactly like its running out of fuel but its not, I thought the fuel might be crap so brimmed it from a different garage no joy. It starts and will rev its heart out as long as you don't move, if you move you can change gear and accelerate fro about a mile and then it fades out, wait a minute and your off again, the longer you wait the further you'll get, oh and the clutch acts up as well creeping etc.
What can it be? Its basically a new engine, could it be the cables or something ridiculous?
HELP- you can see why I need a genius can't you
Still loving it but its defiantly starting to get difficult to find the silver lining

Sounds like fuel starvation to me. Is the carb new or is it the same old carb from your last engine. Also is the car and aftermarket one like a dellorto or mikuni?

Hmm excellent questions, as far as I know its the same carb, I'll have a look tomorrow to see if I can find a brand name, any obvious way to tell?

Cheers

Wouldn`t be the wrong fuel cap would it ? or a blocked vent somewhere in the fuel system ?? Or wrong fuel pipe possibly, if those is good, I`d be looking at the float chamber set up and is it releasing enough fuel. That`s how it reads to me

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,, Always hopefull for something simples,,,,,,,it usually is !! :mrgreen:

Hmm, not changed the fuel cap but limped back to the garage and he took a look at the fuel pipe and tap, decided the fuel hose was about twice as long as it should be and changed the tap and I set off, after about 3 miles of carefree scootering the power went again but I noticed it appears to start happening when I'm going uphill. Managed to limp home and I'm going back to the garage on Monday unless anyone has a brain wave?
Cheers

Sounds like fuel starvation, as though its filled the float bowl, using that and then its not getting any more fuel through, what kind of fuel pump do these have on them?

Seen similar problems on buses where the fuel pump will pump enough fuel to fill the float chamber when standing at idle but when actually driving won't pump enough fuel through to keep the float chamber topped up and therefore the engine dies, sounds like a similar problem.

Are you sure you don't have a blockage in line from tank, blocked filter etc?

Theres no fuel pump, the two stroke motor sucks the fuel through. Starvation would be due to blocked filter (unlikely if it starts up ok) or maybe blocked tank venting as mentioned.
If its a PX its electronic ignition, so wont be a condensor problem.
If the fuel hoses are way too long then maybe ther could be a flow/air lock problem, but that would be intermittant rather than power draining ...
I can only think its a carb problem ... is it standard carb or rubber mounted? Whats the air filter like?

Got rid of the chrome and crap I have a westy what do I know about bling, I dropped it back to the garage today after it happened twice on the way, both times on slight incline its Preston so no Alps round here, so we'll see what he says later in the week but as the engine has basically been rebuilt surely it can only be the carb or exhaust?

Cheers

The Lambretta i bought had been rebuilt by the previous owner.............Did about 30 miles then it seized. Either cheap ill fitting or old cir clips had been used to put the piston back and when they fell out that was that.

yours sounds more like a fuel/jetting/mixture problem to me. Dose it stutter etc when you change down as well? Whats it like when you for instance short shift to early into 4th.

It doesn't seem to lack power, in fact pulls well through the gears its just either after about two miles or up a hill (I'm not sure which as I seem to have a small hill every two miles :)) it cuts out, sit on it foe thirty seconds and off you go again, the cutting out seems just like I'm running out of petrol :(

I would personally think its either the carb, in which the float might be sticking or the fuel hose length/route. 8)

Hi

Yes the guy fixing it agrees, he's changing the carb, the condenser (as apparently mine has been 'fucked about wi') and the petrol cap after that he's stuck :)

tsunamivw said:
Posted this on a Vespa forum just wondering if any early bayers can help. by the way I think the garage are 100% sound

Hi, a little (Ha Ha) background to begin, I bought a PX125 with a 166 malossi kit and enough chrome to keep any magpie happy about two weeks ago. Then it went downhill, 1st the clutch went, turned out not to be a simple adjustment but a split case - sorted now I could change gear and sit at first at the lights without crawling, great. So I went for a spin over Rivington to see how she rode, fantastic, super quick, powered up the hills lovely - until I set off for home and the power started fading (it felt like no fuel) So back it went to the long suffering and frustrated garage. The carb was loose but didn't sort it so they stripped the electrics, plugs, fuel and lots more until it started running ok again. Great I set off home in the drizzle, not for long though, about 4 miles from the garage and coincidentally 4 miles from home it died, again seemed like no fuel - But wouldn't turn over at all, wouldn't start on the button or the kick, garage said leave it 5 mins and tray again - no joy so AA to the garbage 2.5 hours in the drizzle and an hour late for work but hey ho. Called the garage - its not good they said, went to see them. Malossi piston busted and the cylinder has a chunk missing, not scored but it looks like the piston hit the side of the cylinder and got stuck and the bits broke off in the engine. So the garage try to change the piston and cylinder for a standard one to get me going - no joy engine is dead.So new casings, bearings, gaskets etc, stock piston and cylinder and cannibalised my old engine for anything good that was left. I looking for the silver lining, I'll have a bulletproof stock engine, it won't be fast but it will get me there
Except it won't - on the way home it keeps cutting out, exactly like its running out of fuel but its not, I thought the fuel might be crap so brimmed it from a different garage no joy. It starts and will rev its heart out as long as you don't move, if you move you can change gear and accelerate fro about a mile and then it fades out, wait a minute and your off again, the longer you wait the further you'll get, oh and the clutch acts up as well creeping etc.
What can it be? Its basically a new engine, could it be the cables or something ridiculous?
HELP- you can see why I need a genius can't you
Still loving it but its defiantly starting to get difficult to find the silver lining

Latest posts