Anybody in the Bath/Trowbridge area with a Red9Design wishbone front end?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giraffeinbath

Reaction score
More to the point, is there anybody who be willing to let me take their pride and joy for a spin around a supermarket car park sometime and have a bit of a natter about it. I'm seriously considering getting one but I'd like to drive something with it fitted first...

Presume you are aware the Red 9 business is currently for sale?

Yes, partly the catalyst to make a decision before they potentially go out of production if no buyer comes through and they want to call it a day.

Interesting way of looking at it, I'd be more concerned about long term support as there are still issues to this day with the design. 3k is a lot of money to pay for a product that's 'engineered' using washers 😂

I've read plenty about them over the years so I'm aware of the mixed opinions on these kits; including your own, there's no mistaking you're obviously not a fan.

However on a daily driven bus with the associated problems of replacing 'reconditioned' steering boxes made from cheese (mine's a '68), the unavailability of spindles to fit the original parts, the hassle of fannying about with drum brakes not to mention the effort of manoeuvring a standard bus to parallel park on narrow streets at home and work several times every day, the rack and pinion offering this provides makes it quite an attractive option as it solves more problems then it raises.

I would like to try one just briefly to get an insight into the feel of them, hence the original reason for this post.

If you feel there's an alternative I'm all ears, but please don't mention Creative Engineering...

Alternative could be a litesteer rack or perhaps a late bay steering box conversion for your tight parking.
Maybe a CSP disk brake kit with a remote servo for some more modern brakes - others are available!
And a replacement beam of your choice?

Just an idea? Never been a massive fan of RED9 personally either but they do seem to work

giraffeinbath said:
I've read plenty about them over the years so I'm aware of the mixed opinions on these kits; including your own, there's no mistaking you're obviously not a fan.

However on a daily driven bus with the associated problems of replacing 'reconditioned' steering boxes made from cheese (mine's a '68), the unavailability of spindles to fit the original parts, the hassle of fannying about with drum brakes not to mention the effort of manoeuvring a standard bus to parallel park on narrow streets at home and work several times every day, the rack and pinion offering this provides makes it quite an attractive option as it solves more problems then it raises.

I would like to try one just briefly to get an insight into the feel of them, hence the original reason for this post.

If you feel there's an alternative I'm all ears, but please don't mention Creative Engineering...

You are right to acknowledge I'm not a fan as every time we have a bus in the workshop with one its to fix the 'engineered' product, bevel boxes that don't work, tracking & bump steer issues. What annoys me is they knew there was an issue with the bevel box but failed to contact customers to tell them there was a new solution, hardly great customer service.

Lite Steer are currently working on a rack conversion which we are waiting to demo as well as their power steering kit which makes a massive difference and there are plenty of wide 5 disc brakes kits available the one we currently recommend is the boxwagen kit although we are working on our own set up at the moment as well. So there are plenty of alternative solutions out there.

Graham L said:
...we currently recommend is the boxwagen kit...

Been looking for some details on these but can't find anything about their brakes anywhere, could you link to a thread with something you may have done with them?

7th post down on this thread http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=51208&p=429041&hilit=boxwagen#p429041

Did we like the Red 9 setup? Can you let us know when you've been out as I'm curious too?

i had a red 9 fitted end of last year

great bit of kit totaly changed the drive

BUT !

The customer service is the worst i have ever encounterd!
be warned once they have your money your on your own
i would not wish the pain i have had dealing with them on anyone.

Latest posts