Anyone figure out this starting issue

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny69

Reaction score
I've just fitted a refurbished soles 34 pict 3 carb. When it's running its fine however since fitting it the van is really struggling to start hot or cold - it turns over and over for ages before finally starting - although it feels like it's flooded when it fires - splutters and coughs into life. Once it's running its fine. Anyone got any ideas what this could be as I'm baffled. When it's turning over its almost as if there's no fuel but when it fires it's as if it's over fuelled.

Cheers

If it were my bus I would first check the choke is correctly connected electrically, correctly adjusted and working.

If that checks out then I would try setting the carb adjustments, which have to be done on a warm engine. (It's not possible to set it up so it works straight out of the box).

Ok I've set up the carburettor as per the manuals. I've changed the fuel filter. Choke is working correctly. Checked ponts and they are fine. Timing is fine.

The van runs sweetly when it's started - ticks over fine and runs and pulls perfectly.

Problem I've got is its a pig to start - keeps turning over and over for ages before it fires.

Could it be the float in the carb - would that produce the symptoms I've got?

Any further help appreciated

Cheers

Johnny

Well yes a leaking or jamming float could cause your problem because it could make the fuel level in the float chamber too high. A sticking needle valve can also do this.

One way to check if the carb is flooding and the fuel level is too high is by looking down the carb with a torch and a mirror. If its flooding you will see excess fuel running down inside the carb when the engine is being turned over. (By a helper).

Latest posts