Anyone running a King and Link beam on their early bay?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I don't really want to cut up my BJ beam and 2 1/2" dropped spindles just won't be low enough I don't think..........................

So..........................

I'm thinking fit a K&L beam (which will make the '68 sit lower) and fit a set of 3 1/2" dropped spindles, so that I've got a nice lowered van and still get a really comfy ride. Anyone else done this?

All thoughts and advice greatly accepted :wink:

I've done this to my 69 Westy and the ride is great.

It is an expensive way to do it but I feel worth it.

What wheels are you thinking of running? and have you got a split beam and spindles already?

I ask because there are a few things to think about - Do you want the wheels to tuck and do you need it adjustable.

If you go for a wheel with a good offset I would just get a standard split beam and buy some dropped spindles.

I've been up to FBI today and he's given me a price on a complete beam and dropped spindles which seams reasonable - (As you say, an expensive route I know but I want a good quality ride). I'm going to be running stock 14" steelies.

I have an adjustable split beam on my bay but the adjusters are set at their highest. I wouldn't want to go any lower without tubs. I would have thought that just the 3 1/2" dropped spindles (I got mine from Graham too) would give you the ride you want. My only concern would be tyre choice with the 14" rims, I have 175/55/15's on the front with about 2" of clearence.

The wheels should tuck ok, if you end up going for a CSP set up it will give you an additional 12mm each side.

Good luck, post some pics, always good to see what people are doing.

Jon

If you fancy steels mate me and Kempy are both running 15"split screen steel rims , he has hub caps i dont both look cool

I'm also thinking of doing this to get a better ride in my lowered bay.

Not wishing to hi jack but how low are people running their bya busses on K+L front beams? Just asking a I don't want a totally slammed bus just a 5 or 6" drop over a stock bay front beam (which I expected to get using flipped spindles [3.5"] and adjusters for the rest) so that it sits level with it currently being lowered 1 spline at the rear.

Any comments please?

mattp said:
I'm also thinking of doing this to get a better ride in my lowered bay.

Not wishing to hi jack but how low are people running their bya busses on K+L front beams? Just asking a I don't want a totally slammed bus just a 5 or 6" drop over a stock bay front beam (which I expected to get using flipped spindles [3.5"] and adjusters for the rest) so that it sits level with it currently being lowered 1 spline at the rear.

Any comments please?

If you go down the KnL route you will need to drop the rear by more than one spline unless you like the severe rake look. My bus is pretty low (tyres at least 1 inch inside arch) and the adjusters are set at maximum height. Great ride though.

Picture477.jpg

My bus is fairly low, I think the back is down 1 spline but could be wrong. Thing is I like the current stance, just want a better ride hence the decision to consider spending the cash on a K+L conversion.

Comments please :mrgreen:

Latest posts