Are late bays more popular

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dandaz

Reaction score
Just reading some stats....

The most people even on line on the early bay forum was 75 ,while on latebay it is a massive 131... :shock:

Just thinking they must be twice as many people own latebays than early and if you weened out all the crossovers it would be even more..

Are earlybays going to end up like splits a dying breed?

Are latebays to way forwards.. :eek:

Does normal Joe public know the difference , will he pay more for a early?

are latebays going to be more sought after...?

sorry just pondering life on a quite Sunday afternoon.. :roll:

Dont realy think either are more popular though most have their preferences.
Although i did want an EB when i got mine.
I reckon there are more Lates than Earlies in existance as Earlies were 4 year only and the lates were more like 7+ years.
So it sort of stands to reason that the LB forum will be bigger.
VZI Caters for anything with a VW Badge on the boot and is a HUGE Forum.
Didnt Know splits were a dying breed?

Rich

ive met 3 new earlybay owners just today at a local BBQ, there loads more peeps joining the scene. I met funkylarma today too.

latebays are more common i guess, esp as most EBs seem to be imports, and as stated loads more LB made

slammedresto said:
latebays are more common i guess, esp as most EBs seem to be imports, and as stated loads more LB made

indeed matey,
when i bought mine 15 years ago US LHD imports were rarely seen for sale here and much cheaper then too!
:)

monkeyvanwestybike said:
slammedresto said:

indeed matey,
when i bought mine 15 years ago US LHD imports were rarely seen for sale here and much cheaper then too!

ohh and less bitching then aswell
;)

dandaz said:
Just reading some stats....

The most people even on line on the early bay forum was 75 ,while on latebay it is a massive 131... :shock:

Just thinking they must be twice as many people own latebays than early and if you weened out all the crossovers it would be even more...

Your logic is flawed!!

All this proves is that the most people ever online on the EarlyBay forum was 75 ,while on TheLateBay it was 131 - that's all!!!

However...

There are almost certainly more late bays around due to the longer production period and the fact that the newest latebay is at least 10 years younger than the oldest earlybay.

There are many more parts available for lates - whereas early owners tend to have to be more resourceful, be prepared to use good used parts or have deeper pockets - this all takes a bit more dedication IMHO.

As almost all early's are free to tax and are classed as Historic Vehicles they will hold a certain appeal to many - however, they are more expensive because they are older, cooler and look better!! There will always be a certain cache in earlybay ownership because people will always want an earlier and more exclusive model - take the current fascination for Hebmueller Cabrio's for example.

Oh, and Latebays are shit.

;)

I wonder ??? does anybody know what the production runs of each were ? May be a little interesting to know how many of each were made. I know that year on year the annual production was mostly a lot more than the year before, so if they made 50,000 for 4 years then an average 90,000 for ten years that is a hell of a lot of difference. (Totally made up figures) So anyone know ????????

Ozziedog,,,,,, bored with numbers

I think, to answer the question, the reason "thelatebay.com" had more members on line in one day is that the site is very different to this one. It is far more of a "club" and has a different type of following, they have less members but they are more active as a group. Most people on here see this as a forum for information etc, with some good gatherings at shows when possible. "Thelatebay" is a new site and good luck to them, they have done an amazing job and I wont be surprised if they out grow us in the long run.....there were far more late bays made etc....

However, I love this site and hope it stays as it is and continues to cater for the Earlybay scene in the same way. To me Earlybay.com is simple, friendly and full of people willing to help fellow Early bay fans. When a site gets too big there tends to be a bitchiness that I can't stand.......

Justin & Muttley said:
But of course!!

Interesting to note that more '72 crossovers were sold than other years! :lol:

;)

simple fact is because all the early owners rushed out to buy better looking buses :lol:

faux said:
However, I love this site and hope it stays as it is and continues to cater for the Earlybay scene in the same way. To me Earlybay.com is simple, friendly and full of people willing to help fellow Early bay fans. When a site gets too big there tends to be a bitchiness that I can't stand.......

i enjoy this site or i wouldn't be on here, and as i've said before it was here that the idea was taken for tlb. as for what you say about bitchiness, agree 100%

I assume the most ever online users figures is because earlybay.com built up organically over time but thelatebay.com launched with a bang and had a large influx of users when the word got out? Would be interesting to see when that was -

My gaming clan's most ever online count was within the first week that we launched (we split from a much larger clan that had the politic's e.t.c. that we moved away from) but it's now been a couple of years since then and we've never topped the most online users count from an initial 150 users (yet grown to 1000+ members since then)

Interesting stuff - I was in fact pimping thelatebay.com this afternoon funnily enough - my new neighbours moved in and have a nicely restored 1972 US Westy 8)

I'm not sure ... who's the most popular ... but then as a 72 Crossover I dont know who I am - late/early we wave to both and splitties as well :lol: :lol:

lard said:
I assume the most ever online users figures is because earlybay.com built up organically over time but thelatebay.com launched with a bang and had a large influx of users when the word got out? Would be interesting to see when that was -

we set up august 2009, Most Online Ever: 131 (Wed 09/06/10, 21:39)

I occasionally peruse the latebay (although not a member) as my 71 uses some late equipment (narrow 5 wheels, adapted later brake set up etc) but this IS the place to be.

I like Buses 8)

I couldn't give a toss to the snobbishness to lates over earlies or vise versa

My first was a 75 then a 70 then 2 x 72's one of which I still have, and a 67 in the garage for when I eventually get some free time/cash.
As long as it looks like a loaf, I will drive it :lol:

Latest posts