Aug 67 Tintop Westfalia...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monkeyspinner Tim

Reaction score
Here's my 67 Westy, it was built on the 25th of August so is pretty early(possibly the earliest Bay westy in the country?) it came from just north of SF in California. unfortunately the previous owner sold the interior to make way for his home made one from his previous camper... i don't know why because its crap! anyway i have an early westy interior on the way so i can put it back to original... it has very little rot which is all in the front panel and front floor and a tiny bit in the battery tray, i have most of the panels to repair these areas. the paint is original, i will not be painting it apart from blowing in the areas that i repair.

67b.jpg

67b1.jpg

67b2.jpg

67b3.jpg

67b4.jpg

67b5.jpg

67b6.jpg

67b7.jpg

67b8.jpg

67b9.jpg

67b10.jpg

67b11.jpg

67b12.jpg

67b13.jpg

67slam2.jpg

67slam1.jpg

67slam.jpg

As you can see i've started lowering the Bus... I don't like ball joint suspension so i have replaced it with a standard width split bus beam with adjusters and a set of king/linkpin dropped spindles. this means it can go incredibly low without losing alot of comfort. it also narrows the front by 35mm each side plus i've fitted 15" bus steels which tuck it in a little more so there is no tyre rub on the dogleg inner box section... i was going to slam this on the floor but that would mean notching the rear chassis legs, cutting off bump stops etc and i would rather not do that on such an early rare bus as i may sell it if i decide to keep the 70 logo'd bus instead. i apreciate some people would rather it was standard and not hacked about too much. as it is all the original suspension can be bolted back on.

Very nice :D
Like the lowered look your going for as well, v.nice 8)

Yes thats the chap! great van, with an interesting interior! any plans for it? 8)

easy said:
Yes thats the chap! great van, with an interesting interior! any plans for it? 8)

I'm going to do all the welding required, Ankorwaxing every square inch inside and out, sorting it ot mechanically and fitting an original early Westy interior back in... i plan to keep it but i may sell if i keep the Citrus Valley Deluxe instead... i won't know that until it gets here...

Cool ride 8) , my westy is from just north of SF too! Walnut Creek. Looks like you have as many dents in your bus as mine had! All in the same places too.
I love the PATINA but sadly tired of it after a year on mine :?

I'm too tired to type much so here's a few progress pics... the rear is as low as it can go without starting to seriously chop bump stops, chassis legs about and like i said i'm not prepared to do that on this bus. the front could go down another 50mm ish without rubbing the top of the arch too much but then it'd have too much rake in my opinion. i have some adjustments to make but am pretty damn happy with the 200mm drop all round :D

67b14.jpg

67b15.jpg

67b16.jpg

67b17.jpg

I like :D
Looks right from where I am sitting! Don't think it needs to go any lower.

8)

dubberdaz said:
I love the PATINA but sadly tired of it after a year on mine :?

I'm glad that doesn't happen to me with all my patina rides... i'm the other way round, i restored many many cars as its what i used to do (and still do to some extent)... i'm tired of shiney, scared to drive and enjoy, paint :)

that will definately do on the lowering, looks great now 8)

Latest posts