Auto fire extinguishers

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosie1971

Reaction score
Hi all. I've been looking at getting an auto extinguisher and found these on the Internet. They seem like a better alternative and a lot cheaper than the normal ones with the sprinkler type hose attachment which you cable tie around the top of the engine compartment.

Has anyone fitted one, are they any good and if you have fitted one where did you attach it to?

Cheers

http://www.fireprotectiononline.co.uk/1kg-automatic-fire-extinguisher.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hi mate, I've never used one so can't comment on its capacity to go off when it should.

1. What I do know is that 1kg is too small to put out even a relatively small fire. I used 2.5 - 3kg to put mine out.

2. If your engine is at full chat most of the powder will end up being sucked out through the fan. True of gas too though.

3. Powder is the work of the devil. It does what it says on the tin - puts fires out - it also corrodes any metal very quickly and if the engine is running when it goes off it will need rebuilding.

You will get loads of answers as to what is best but after experiencing a fire I keep a large powder extinguisher as backup in the van and a large gas auto extinguisher similar to the one you have shown in the engine bay.

Hopefully by the law of averages I won't have another fire! But then it is an old VW bus........

Oh.go.on.then said:
Hi mate, I've never used one so can't comment on its capacity to go off when it should.

1. What I do know is that 1kg is too small to put out even a relatively small fire. I used 2.5 - 3kg to put mine out.

2. If your engine is at full chat most of the powder will end up being sucked out through the fan. True of gas too though.

3. Powder is the work of the devil. It does what it says on the tin - puts fires out - it also corrodes any metal very quickly and if the engine is running when it goes off it will need rebuilding.

You will get loads of answers as to what is best but after experiencing a fire I keep a large powder extinguisher as backup in the van and a large gas auto extinguisher similar to the one you have shown in the engine bay.

Hopefully by the law of averages I won't have another fire! But then it is an old VW bus........
If these extinguishers go off at 79 degrees surely that would be before a serious fire starts? Therefore the need for up to three extinguishers would be minimum? (I carry three anyway after reading your thread) they do also sell a 2kg bottle (equivalent of two extinguishers)

I'd consider fitting one of these other than being powder, are these type of extinguishers available in gas?

Bigbear said:
Oh.go.on.then said:

If these extinguishers go off at 79 degrees surely that would be before a serious fire starts? Therefore the need for up to three extinguishers would be minimum? (I carry three anyway after reading your thread) they do also sell a 2kg bottle (equivalent of two extinguishers)

I'd consider fitting one of these other than being powder, are these type of extinguishers available in gas?

They do but a lot more expensive

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=300871584034&cmd=VIDESC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The smaller one is cheaper and they do a larger one too.

I have one in my bay. cant comment on how good or bad they are,as obviously i havent used it yet.......hope never to tbh.

As for placement,i guess youll only know if its in the right place,when it goes off,and if it extinguishes the fire.

I carry a 2kg and a 1kg Dry Powder in the cab as well.

Rosie1971 said:
Has anyone fitted one, are they any good and if you have fitted one where did you attach it to?

Cheers

http://www.fireprotectiononline.co.uk/1kg-automatic-fire-extinguisher.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes I have that exact one. I also bought it from there so I can vouch for the company's service.

You can see it tucked up in the back of the engine bay.

epagu9ym.jpg

Ignore the batteries and cables, my dynamo packed up so I had a spare wired in with jump leads to get me home.

Fortunately I can't comment as to whether it works, and I hope I never need to know! ;-)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks all that's superb and thanks for the pics. That gives me an idea of where to put it. Ive got a small one in the cab so if i fit one of these i can afford another. Hopefully none of us will need them!!!!

Hi

We have just started marketing a clean agent vw engine bay fire suppression system. We are currently running a group buy in the trader section and i think there is a thread running in the trader section and also a long one running in the technical section.

FIRE SUPPRESSION SYSTEM - VW Aircooled Works Fireboy

Fire suppression system

This is an alternative product CE Approved clean agent based system that does not leave a corrosive residue in your engine bay.

We are trading at Stanford hall this weekend if you fancy having a look at the system.

regards
colleen
vw aircooled works

Hi

As the forum was down for a while and we are still getting enquiries on regular basis we will run the group offer until after Stonor Park.

We will be trading at Stonor, jointly with my wife so look out for the orange and black Cafe De Circe Gazebo and our yellow/white splittie.

Lots of people want to see it in the flesh before they buy so only fair to run it until after Stonor. Mention the forum and you will get forum price on the standard and deluxe systems. We also are show casing our carbon monoxide 12 Volt direct wired detectors and a snazzy solenoid cut off propane/butane/CNG gas detector, cuts of the gas if the sampler detects a leak.

look forward to seeing you, cheers
Peter

MrAndyP said:
I have one in my bay. cant comment on how good or bad they are,as obviously i havent used it yet.......hope never to tbh.

As for placement,i guess youll only know if its in the right place,when it goes off,and if it extinguishes the fire.

I carry a 2kg and a 1kg Dry Powder in the cab as well.

How did you secure the bottle?

Not shown in that picture,but a big jubilee clip tied round the bottle and the bracket that normally holds the bottle. The bracket is screwed to one of the crossmembers in the ceilng of the engine compartment.

Latest posts