Poor quality rocker cover gaskets

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moseley

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Following on from a recent post of mine on here regarding leaking rocker cover gaskets, I was made aware of the poor quality materials being used by most of the major parts suppliers. I have been on the lookout for an alternative, and stumbled across ‘shirley9293’ on EBay, who seems to trade as The Gasket Shop. They are offering cork gaskets in both 4mm (standard thickness) and 5mm. I figured no harm in trying the thicker ones, so ordered a set.

First impressions, noticeably softer and more ‘corky’ than the ones I recently purchased. Also, a much better fit - see pictures below. I will point out that the cutting isn’t great, they are wider in places, but I don’t think this will cause any issues in practise.

I’ll be chucking a set on the van later, so it’ll be interesting to see how they perform.

IMG_0736.jpeg

IMG_0737.jpeg

IMG_0738.jpeg

IMG_0739.jpeg

Did you find a new pair of rocker covers or are you just using the same ones. ?

The cork gaskets are good if they are actually made of cork! I always seal them to the covers but just smear a little oil on the valve side of the gasket. I’ve had the same gaskets on for about 3 years now and they still don’t leak.

Did you find a new pair of rocker covers or are you just using the same ones. ?

The cork gaskets are good if they are actually made of cork! I always seal them to the covers but just smear a little oil on the valve side of the gasket. I’ve had the same gaskets on for about 3 years now and they still don’t leak.

I have sourced some OG ones (that is one of the ones I’ve used in the pictures above) but for the purpose of being scientific, I’m just going to use my existing aftermarket covers with a new gasket (and no sealant) and see what happens.

Good news!

Even with the aftermarket rocker covers, they have remained leak-free so far. These were installed dry, and no sealant etc. I guess time will tell how they hold up, but I’ll certainly be purchasing more off the back of them immediately outperforming the others I’ve tried.

Thanks for the update as this has been driving me mad the past few years. Will order some and get them fitted.

Hi folks,

Following on from a recent post of mine on here regarding leaking rocker cover gaskets, I was made aware of the poor quality materials being used by most of the major parts suppliers. I have been on the lookout for an alternative, and stumbled across ‘shirley9293’ on EBay, who seems to trade as The Gasket Shop. They are offering cork gaskets in both 4mm (standard thickness) and 5mm. I figured no harm in trying the thicker ones, so ordered a set.

First impressions, noticeably softer and more ‘corky’ than the ones I recently purchased. Also, a much better fit - see pictures below. I will point out that the cutting isn’t great, they are wider in places, but I don’t think this will cause any issues in practise.

I’ll be chucking a set on the van later, so it’ll be interesting to see how they perform.

View attachment 6430

View attachment 6431

View attachment 6432

View attachment 6433
Hi folks,

View attachment 6430

View attachment 6431

View attachment 6432

View attachment 6433
Thanks for the heads up on these great gaskets. I ordered some, fitted no leaks now .

Latest posts