Bad engine noises after new starter fitted

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben freeman

Reaction score
Just fitted a new starter to my bay, on start up I get this horrible scrapping noise from the tinware/bell housing area. It goes on low tick over but comes back when I rev it. I've fitted the old one back and makes the same noise?? What have I done?

Something worth checking - have you got the wiring wrong?

If power continues to be supplied to the small spade connector on the solenoid, the starter will continue to be engaged while the engine is running.

Power should only go to the small spade terminal when the key is turned to the start position. In the running position it should be un-powered.

This fault can also occur if the ignition switch is faulty.

It had a brand new ignition switch last month, everything was ok till I replaced the starter.

Doesn't one of the 4 engine-to-gearbox mounts pass through the starter motor? in which case you will have had to remove the nut behind the fan housing to replace the starter... Is it possible that in doing so you have pushed something against the fan?

Neil

Zcat7 said:
Doesn't one of the 4 engine-to-gearbox mounts pass through the starter motor? in which case you will have had to remove the nut behind the fan housing to replace the starter... Is it possible that in doing so you have pushed something against the fan?

Neil

Sounds like this to me too :msn4:

Chris

Latest posts