bad steering coupler

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

W1K1

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Westfalia camper
I bought one of these steering couplers last year because they are advertised as just like the German OEM, well they are not
I've been driving my bus for a month now and the steering has felt mushy, and you can feel the give when cranking on the wheel when stationary

I ended up ordering a Lares 209 coupler and changing it out this weekend, it its the original cloth embedded stiff rubber coupler. The steering is much more solid feeling. And the C&C coupler after being in the bus and driving for a month, you can fold it over with 3 fingers, that's how soft it is.

the Lares 209 is a different beast all together
2281163.jpg

so i figured the C&C coupler was never going to get used again so chop chop, lets see what's inside.

they try to fool you into thinking there is cloth reenforcement in it by throwing a couple strings in it :roll:

again it's this one :
C33-S02300 - GERMAN QUALITY FROM C&C U.K. - STEER BOX COUPLER - BUS 68-79 - REF.# - 211415417 - 211-415-417

2513224.jpg

2513223.jpg

I’ve been running a lares 209 for a good few months now, this was the so called OEM I took off.
I didn't cut it up, but it’s now in the bin where it belongs 👍

IMG_7427.jpeg

I swapped mine over recently to a coupler from a van I broke several years back and I remember when towing it home on a bar just how nice it rode and steered. I didn’t think mine was terrible or wickedly soft but once I’d removed it, there were hairline cracks all over it which appeared more than hairlines when I gave it a bit of a hard time in the vice. The difference was very noticeable and maybe I wouldn’t have bothered but all the great comments over on the LateBay after a few had fitted their new Lares group buy couplers. A good original one or the nice Lares replacement seems to be the answer.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,, Original are hard to find now.

I’ve got one of the Lares couplers which i don’t need as I’ve got power steering, anyone want it? Yours for £20, cost me £35 after shipping and VAT

I’ve got one of the Lares couplers which i don’t need as I’ve got power steering, anyone want it? Yours for £20, cost me £35 after shipping and VAT
If nobody bites your arm off, I’ll take it off your hands as a spare spare that can live in my garage along with several other items that I’ve purr chased over the years.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,Lares for the win :)

That part would go nicely with all the other spares that i’m never going to need, never going to use, and, (upon my untimely and unfortunate death) will immediately be thrown into the skip.

We should alert all of our spouses to post the date and time of our estate sales so that we can repeat the process indefinitely. Then the last Early Bay member standing will end up with all of our bits and bobs.

Had some a good few years ago that had wire reinforcing in them, no good as it shorts the horn out!

Latest posts