Belly pans - yes, no, would you?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1961bluebug

Reaction score
I´m undergoin a complete resto of my ´68 Combi. Currently considering if to fit original Westy style belly pans (huge metal pans on the chassis) to make the chassis look clean and protected, maybe something with torsional rigidity of the chassis too. I know that Combis were not equipped with these from the factory so - would you? Or is it my överdoing and overthinking again and waste of time?

I personally think they can be a trap for grot in the uk clime. But I see your thinking on body stability. I think if I had a poptop I would fit them for the extra strength, but with removable fixings and a seal.

I do have the under cab one fitted, but that's more to provide extra insulation for my heater pipe :lol:

I fitted all the belly pans during my resto. The middle one is welded on but the 2 side ones I fitted by putting rivnuts into the chassis/sills. They were fitted as standard to my UK bus as it is a pop-top. I painted the whole underside first including the belly pans and then only ground away what was needed to weld to try and help with preventing corrosion. The underside was then cavity waxed and undersealed.
When I took them off they had actually done a pretty good job at protecting the underside considering it was a 40 year old UK bus but its horses to courses.
The middle one I got from C&C as at the time no one else sold them (dunno if his has changed) and it was a s**t fit, they were very helpful and swapped it out but the new one was the same so either my bus is different or the part is not measured out very well. Anyway, I chose to keep it, I had to slice a section out of the back of it and add a fillet, no big deal. There's some pic's here:

http://s837.photobucket.com/user/marktmaguire/library/VW?sort=3&page=16" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My belly pans are bolted on so can be removed every couple of years or so to re- waxoyl the underside.

I took the view that they would help protect the floor and would be far easier to replace than it.

As mine has a Viking roof they also add a bit of torsional rigidity - welding would have been better for this but I feel that the bolts are a satisfactory alternative

When I get round to it I'll fit belly pans. I'll make some brackets up with captive nuts and bolt them on.
They'll keep road noise down and stop all the crap getting thrown up onto the outriggers and chassis legs.

Latest posts