Best Instruction Manual

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olance

Reaction score
I'm looking for a manual to do stuff to me van with, which do you guys think is the best?

There's Haynes, Bentley or the How to llook afer your something or other .. can't remember what it's called.

Cheers!

olance said:
How to llook afer your something or other .. can't remember what it's called.

"How to keep your Volkswagen alive?"

some nice illustrations, simplistic explanations but as a serious manual? i always find myself reaching for the bently or haynes for more tricky manouveres, it is a good laugh for its hippyish style

Buy them all, then buy all the other ones you can find as well 8)

I find the Muir book quite useful, its more practical style than haynes/bentley to performing fixes is easy to follow.....

depends how useful you are if you ask me...

I'm new to V-dubs so went and ordered the Bentley Manual...then immediately sent it back as I found it too technical and a lack of diagrams, pictures etc.

For me the best combo was the John Muir and the haynes. Use the J.Muir for straight talking and simplicity (idiot proof = ME) and the haynes for useful pictures and accurate diagrams etc.

Since then i've oil changed, points, cv boot repair, door lock repair... next up is tappets and whatever else I'm brave enough to attempt.

:mrgreen:

Must admit a combo approach is very useful at times....some books cover areas more in depth than others.....if you can get hold of the workshop manuals even more techie bits.....

Bentley and my mate Andy (he is much better than the manual and can do the work for you for some beer tokens :lol: )

I buy any manuals I come across as I find a 'scattergun' approach useful - I figure that confirming what you're doing from several sources has to be a bonus!

I like the Muir book the best though - it's the only workshop manual that I've ever picked up 'just for a read' (and the diagrams are simple but comprehensive).

Start with what you can afford (Bentley's are pretty pricey IMHO) and see what suits you best - you can always sell on any that you come to dislike...

;)

Brill

Cheers guys. Gonna go for the combo factor as at present more autistic than mechanic ....... this time next year .......... broken van in bits!

Yes just to echo John Muir is a great read and "can save you some bread man" but don't forget to post your tech queries on here as someone will have already come across what you want to do and know the pit falls.

Latest posts