Best sound proofing???

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doz

Reaction score
I want to improve the sound proofing over the engine and under the RR bed. So the stuff I use can't be to thick. What's the best stuff to use which doesn't break the bank

Hi!

Your're not wrong Zed, just back from Big Sunday (off again in a bit) and the bus is loaded up more, with more in the back, and the volume of the engine must have been reduced by half, though i dont normally have it as full as this, i think the fact the cushions and bedding etc sat flush with the top of the back seat, it muffled the engine really well.

I would have a good at some soundproofing inside the engine bay first, then inside the bed area. Some underlay felt like you used to get under car carpets, maybe with lead type roof flashing to stop drumming type noises, but i reckon a far bit bit of sound is transmitted up and around the side vents area, so maybe a little re-trim in this area too?

I used quite a bit of roof flashing type stuff when i had my interior in bits, it quietened down the clang noise from the side and door panels, but you need some other type of stuff as well, see my gallery below, but as Zed says, your bedding and pillows, duvets in the back does cut a surprising large amount of noise down, i suspect more than any type of after-market stuff.

HTH

Cheers!

Alistair

Thanks Alistair, I hoped nobody would think I wasn't serious!
The only time any of my buses have been quiet is loaded to the gunnels off camping.
Conversely, stripped out and driving to the paintshop you realise you've got a 40+ year old commercial vehicle. :lol:
I get a hell of a lot of road noise in the cab, whining from the diff and the flippin quiet pack doing it's best not to live up to it's name.
Just got myself a reasonably loud stereo to try and drown it out a bit, but it doesn't really bother me that much.

Sound proof me Bus :lol: , that means I'd hear all the wife's nagging even more, usual stuff like:
''How much you spent on it now''.....''Is it supposed to smell like this''......''think how many shoes I could buy if you didint spend it all on the bus''......''I aint camping if its raining''.........etc etc etc !! :roll:

Cheers guys but this is for the benefit of my kids who can't hear themselves think in the back. So if anybodies got some good ideas for cutting the engine racket down.....

Sadly, the sounds come through the rear hatch, inner air take panels, the sbove engine floor, the angled panels between that and the cargo floor, the side panels and the cargo floor itself. Stick some expensive heavy-weight proofing sheet on all these areas and stuff up with camping gear? I ran out of cash and can't see a good way to do the inner air intake panels and inner along each side of your rear bed. There's a lot of area here to deal with, hence the camping gear solution. I wasn't trying to be faceitious, just realistic. It's a 40 yr old commercial vehicle. :)

I have a panel van with no interior (quite noisey) ended up getting the noise killer stuff on ALL interior panels as possible. Still have no interior as run out of spare cash but can now have a conversation whilst driving ;-)

Pond liner, aka Butyl rubber. Hey it's what they use on Nuclear Subs so it must be alright! Admitally I didn't use a foot thick of the stuff... Then i've got a several camp mats (closed cell foam, doesn't absorb water) spread about under the carpet/lino.

But as Zed said, you just need to fill it up with soft camping stuff. Foam cushions had a good effect. Also stuffing a sleeping bag in the back of the top locker helped ALOT.

Also as mentioned above, if you can cover the inner rear air vent area, this will help alot. I've yet to do this as i'm not entirely sure how best to do it, looks wise.

I've also got some Celotex cut out ready to go in the top of the engine bay. Not sure what effect that will have yet.

All fairly cheap, readily available stuff.
Jim

I drove mine back from it's mot for the first time friday with no interior, jesus it is noisey. i have already bought some car sound deadening off ebay, it's only a couple of mm thick and self adesive. I've spent the last few days covering the rear, the rear door, the sliding doors, pretty much every where possible.

i took it for a drive today and the difference is like night and day. Not as quiet as my merc but quiet enough not to drive you insane or deaf.

this is the stuff i used, nice and cheap and very fast delivery - he offers bigger amount (I went for the bigger amount!)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SoundX-Car-Audio-Sound-Proofing-Vehicle-Soundproofing-Noise-Deadening-16-SqFt-/350513666386?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item519c3e1952" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

j.

doz said:
Cheers guys but this is for the benefit of my kids who can't hear themselves think in the back. So if anybodies got some good ideas for cutting the engine racket down.....

Kids in the back making a racket...sounds like a good reason NOT to have sound proofing if you ask me. :lol:

Latest posts