Best way to soundproof engine

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wbmkk

Reaction score
I've just bought my first campervan, a Westfalia.

Unfortunately the rear mat, which goes over the engine is missing, which I now understand was actually a soundproofing mat.

Now, when the rear seats are laid down, to form the bed, the rear mattress, which would usually go directly on top of the missing mat, is approximately 1/2 - 3/4" too low. A bed even with this small step in the middle might not be as comfortable as is ideal.

I would ltherefore ike to put something down, on top of the engine cover to make up this level and if it can help to soundproof the engine a little too, that would be a bonus.

I've thought about getting an offcut of thick carpet, or maybe underfelt (x2 layers) or maybe a group of those green insulation mats usually used underneath laminate flooring.

Which do you think would offer the best spoundproofing ?

many thanks !

wbmkk said:
I've just bought my first campervan, a Westfalia.

Unfortunately the rear mat, which goes over the engine is missing, which I now understand was actually a soundproofing mat.

Now, when the rear seats are laid down, to form the bed, the rear mattress, which would usually go directly on top of the missing mat, is approximately 1/2 - 3/4" too low. A bed even with this small step in the middle might not be as comfortable as is ideal.

I would ltherefore ike to put something down, on top of the engine cover to make up this level and if it can help to soundproof the engine a little too, that would be a bonus.

I've thought about getting an offcut of thick carpet, or maybe underfelt (x2 layers) or maybe a group of those green insulation mats usually used underneath laminate flooring.

Which do you think would offer the best spoundproofing ?

many thanks !

Hi,

Interesting, my Westy, a 1970 has no soundproofing mat on the metal work, just the original mustard vinyl direct on top of the painted metal, when my bed is folded down, it's all flush. Maybe your matress or foam has been changed, not too sure if i have a direct picture, but have a look on my thread in my sig below, maybe something there.

I reckon the green foam, or the wool type felt stuff and thick carpet would be fine.
Maybe a memory foam toper, covered in a suitable fabric or vinyl would do?

Hope this helps,

Alistair

as for the sound proofing part I put a piece of the noise killer rubber type mat underneath the rear mattress and extended down under the rock n roll bed, it was easy to do as I had all the furniture out.

Otherwise when I bought our bus there was nothing under the rear foam pad thingy.

Baz

The best soundproofing I found was the old fashioned thick underlay felt made for cars. Ultimately sound proofing relies a lot on bulk.

The the only thing is, this stuff is designed to be under carpet and, despite being coated on the top surface, when used in exposed locations the sides tend to be a bit on the hairy side :lol:

Trikky2 said:
The best soundproofing I found was the old fashioned thick undelay felt made for cars. Ultimately sound proofing relies a lot on bulk.

The the only thing is, this stuff is designed to be under carpet and when exposed tends to be a bit on the hairy side :lol:

That's what I've got over mine Trikky with roofing tape underneath to dampen the panel resonating. Works a treat, downside is exactly as you say. A bit hairy :D But it's usually covered by my futon anyway so not really a major drama!

It is possible that there was a bit more sound deadening on yours as it`s a little later. But as for sound deadening mats, they`re as far as I`m aware, underneath that bit so just above the engine. :shock: Just cut up Madaonna (my donor) a 72 and she had fibreglass mats in sections in a lightweight metal cover with holes in it, and they are fitted directly over the engine. It`s possible that things have been ` altered ' :roll: over the years and possibly the foam has been changed or it may indeed have been set up with an extra mat / cover. Firstly I`d try whatever I had to hand, like a couple of layers of underlay then when you get to an event or show, have a nose around similiar aged models and see what they have. That way you are up and camping, and not wasting dosh on the wrong thing. :mrgreen:

Ozziedog........... Perhaps it`s an early version of `Lowering ;) :lol: :roll:

If the folding seat is a Zee bed made by the Zee company. There will be a difference in elevations. If it is a Westphalia folding bed my bet is that it is mounted incorrectly. As far as soundproofing I use a bigger stereo and more speakers. :D

Latest posts