Blown air heaters

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubbedup67

Reaction score
How’s everyone’s lockdown going?

Has anyone fitted one of these heaters?

If so,where and how? Can they be underslung between the chassis rails or do they need to be inside?
I’m wanting to fit one plumbed into the existing cab heating ducts to we cab have some warmth when driving and so I can use the walkthrough vent for evenings when we’re parked up. Has anyone done this?

I have done what you want to do , however I used a Propex external type and housed in a
galvanised tray towards the rear between the chassis rails.

J & P
:D :D :D

The PO fitted my Propex under the front passenger side between the outside chassis and the other rail - it's is directly below the passenger's feet with a metal plate covering the whole section. Seems like a good idea to me. The gas bottle is behind the driver under the buddy seat.

Mine feeds straight into the central heating duct where the tube from the back would have joined (which has been removed). I can take some pics if that would help? Personally I wouldn't have removed the old heating as I am now thinking of ways to reinstate the old heat exchanges and ducting so I can have 'free' heat when on the move. Maybe it's not possible to have both I you want the heater to feed directly into the existing system?

Could you put the diesel heater under the R&R or a buddy seat? Also diesel makes more sense to me and addresses the running out of fuel issue.

fallingoffalot said:
The PO fitted my Propex under the front passenger side between the outside chassis and the other rail - it's is directly below the passenger's feet with a metal plate covering the whole section. Seems like a good idea to me. The gas bottle is behind the driver under the buddy seat.

Mine feeds straight into the central heating duct where the tube from the back would have joined (which has been removed). I can take some pics if that would help? Personally I wouldn't have removed the old heating as I am now thinking of ways to reinstate the old heat exchanges and ducting so I can have 'free' heat when on the move. Maybe it's not possible to have both I you want the heater to feed directly into the existing system?

Could you put the diesel heater under the R&R or a buddy seat? Also diesel makes more sense to me and addresses the running out of fuel issue.

That would be awesome if you could mate. I’m just trying to see where I could mount one so it’s not obvious and works how I want.

This pic shows the hot air output going into the existing ducting pipe. The bracket top tight is the bumper - so this is looking towards the rear of van, which is attached to the cover or tray where heater is. You can see that part of the old pipe has foam in to seal it, but the long section is missing. The other thinner black pipe is the fresh air inlet and I have moved this now to try and stop it blowing out over 40mph.

fbba927cde50fcfe747672fce3f7b856.jpg

Sent from my SM-G9600 using Tapatalk

I am sure you will get the gist of what I did.
I have a butterfly valve in the tube that goes to the Y piece so the air from the bus heating
is not blown into the unit. The Y piece is how I cut into the centre heating tube.
I still retain the original bus heating and have a very small oil heater
for when we are on site. (ex south africans so we feel the cold. :lol: :lol: :lol: )

Hope this helps in some way. Stay virus free.

J & P
:D :D :D

We have a diesel heater fitted under bus, that is piped into the existing pipe work at the front using the totem pole vents. I blanked off the walkthrough vent as the purpose of our diesel heater was purely for cab heat.

We have a propex for wild camping and a good fan heater when on hook up.

The diesel tank is fitted behind the portaloo / buddy seat and the controls are under the dash near the fusebox (went for rotary dial instead of digital display). I have moved the cold air inlet to underneath the rock and roll bed so that it isn’t drawing cold damp air from outside and instead recirculating the air inside the van in theory drying out the van during operation.

Obviously not done much driving this year but worked a treat on our last outing in Nov19 cab was toastie [emoji106]

I’ll add some pics

c4de34de4c9d4bef85cee48f671b026c.jpg

8461b6dfdee31e49455a37e437533658.jpg

5cfb4b84651482db8ed6637a2c38fc40.jpg

84dcdbda2c2e8413ad9aa9cf5d91cef7.jpg

46e863dd3a4a9ff2835eee7fb16f105c.jpg

It’s really cheap to run and bangs out a fair bit of heat ... I don’t have heat exchangers or a centre pipe in the mid section so wanted an alternative that would also clear the screen.

I have since fitted a splash guard beneath the heater and removed the old redundant Y section of heater tube to allow the air inlet to be piped in under the rock and roll bed (pic 1)

The air filter in pic 4 is now piped direct to inside (pic 1) as it’s more efficient than heating cold damp air from outside [emoji106].

For £100 it was a great purchase [emoji106]

Stay safe [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

matty74 said:
We have a diesel heater fitted under bus, that is piped into the existing pipe work at the front using the totem pole vents. I blanked off the walkthrough vent as the purpose of our diesel heater was purely for cab heat.

We have a propex for wild camping and a good fan heater when on hook up.

The diesel tank is fitted behind the portaloo / buddy seat and the controls are under the dash near the fusebox (went for rotary dial instead of digital display). I have moved the cold air inlet to underneath the rock and roll bed so that it isn’t drawing cold damp air from outside and instead recirculating the air inside the van in theory drying out the van during operation.

Obviously not done much driving this year but worked a treat on our last outing in Nov19 cab was toastie [emoji106]

I’ll add some pics

c4de34de4c9d4bef85cee48f671b026c.jpg

8461b6dfdee31e49455a37e437533658.jpg

5cfb4b84651482db8ed6637a2c38fc40.jpg

84dcdbda2c2e8413ad9aa9cf5d91cef7.jpg

46e863dd3a4a9ff2835eee7fb16f105c.jpg

It’s really cheap to run and bangs out a fair bit of heat ... I don’t have heat exchangers or a centre pipe in the mid section so wanted an alternative that would also clear the screen.

I have since fitted a splash guard beneath the heater and removed the old redundant Y section of heater tube to allow the air inlet to be piped in under the rock and roll bed (pic 1)

The air filter in pic 4 is now piped direct to inside (pic 1) as it’s more efficient than heating cold damp air from outside [emoji106].

For £100 it was a great purchase [emoji106]

Stay safe [emoji106]

This is exactly what I was wanting to do only il keep the walkthrough added in as I want to use this as a night heater as well as for driving. Thinking I’m going to put my tank in the buddy seat,mount the unit under the van and weather proof it. Maybe with a belly pan or something.
Then use one of the rear heater outlet under the rear seat as a fresh are inlet.

You won’t regret it ... I put a T piece directly behind the rear cross member to give me a tight 90 deg angle (blanked off the other outlet) near the gearbox nose cone. Then it’s only a short hose to under the rear seat intake vent.

I’m renewing my fuel hose soon, so I’ll take some pics when I’m under the van.

Mine isn’t wired into my leisure circuit as I have other heat sources, but I guess yours will be for what you are planning.

There’s a guy on eBay that makes a better heater mounting bracket than what you get in the kit ... it’s about £20 and better suited for under bus mounting. There are some more expensive enclosures available too.

I just made a splash guard out of some thin sheet metal. Folded it into a long L shape and then fixed to the beam and floor so that it still gets ventilation but won’t trap water.

Latest posts