Booking Eurotunnel: as van or campervan?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SiDev

Reaction score
So I'm looking at booking the Eurotunnel, use it for work regularly but have never taken the bus. Looking at the prices, booking on as a "van" works out over £50 cheaper than as a "campervan/motorhome" for the same dates! What do people book as and have you ever had it questioned? Really don't want to pitch up and be turned away!

Not with Euro tunnel but with ferry - I wasn't sure how to best describe our T2 so I called them. They told me to book the ticket as a 4 X 4 which I did. No probs at the port.

Loaders job is generally to get everyone on as quickly as possible. Most times, in a vw bus, they won't question the details given that most vans can be lower than or shorter than many modern 'cars'.
I did get questioned on the tunnel once as I'd booked as a car, but they just let me on.
Once on a ferry I hadn't declared a bike rack so had to pay the £20 fee.

Thanks guys, that's reassuring, i'm going as a "van" over 1.85m and saving £50!

I've just been to the info desk at the tunnel and the official view from them is that if it has a sink and cooker then it counts as a camper. I also spoke to a friend down there who said that most old VWs book as an over height car and no one is bothered and is cheaper.
Hope this helps, Dave

That's awesome, thanks Dave. I had a similar conversation with customer services and was asked if it had a bed, I said the seats go down and you can sleep in it. She said it's a campervan/motor home then. I said the back seats go down on my Audi and I can sleep in that too, should I book that as a campervan? Seems their criteria are a bit ambiguous hence my original post, to me a campervan/motor home is one of those big ugly fibreglass bodies stuck on a van, our buses are the size of a small estate car so shouldn't cost the same as something that takes up 50% more room. Thanks again.

LPG is a no no and cooking gas is OK as long as it's turned off at the bottle, they do check that one. Dave

sparkywig said:
If I put my registration in it books me as a campervan/motorhome and won't let me change it.
Even though I can get under the 1.8m barrier extremely easily.

I usually book as registration not yet known. :msn4: The auto readers cant read US plates anyway so you have to manually input your details on arrival.

Latest posts