Bosch Alternator

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ed.

Reaction score
I'm thinking of changing the dynamo on my bus to an alternator.

Some of the suppliers are selling Bosch alternators.
Are these any better than the standard ones?
Are the standard ones a bit shit?
Are they German Bosch?
Are they worth an extra £130?

Anyone have any experience of either?

Thanks Ed.

Have had a 55Amp Bosch from Coolair for a bit over a year with no problems.

Can't remember if genuine German or not.

You could always ask them about the manufacturing source.

I have had 3 bosch and 1 remanufactured uk brand (i forget the brand) over the last 13 years, the £57 uk one i have had for 5 years. The 1st bosch was German the others i don't know.
Check your local motor factors and see what they sell.

It can be done with the engine in but it's easier IMO to take it out to do as it saves skinned knuckles and curse words ;)

I ran a repro for 4 years but when the bearings gave I out I have bit the bullet and the bosch has now done 3 years so far.

The bosch are much better quality you do pay for what you get.

Repro:

https://www.vwheritage.com/shop/AC903901/alternator-conversion-kit-55amp-ssp-inc-belt-pulley/?crumbStartPage=1&crumbStartRow=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bosch:

https://www.vwheritage.com/shop/AC903900/alternator-conversion-kit-55amp-bosch-inc-belt-pulley/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Remember we give a discount to all forum members.

Hope this helps,

Cheers

Alex

As Alex says it can be done with engine in but be prepared for loosing some skin. Here's a good tip when you have engine out . Change the four studs that hold the generator stand to engine case and replace them with bolts. Makes the job a lot easier if you ever have to change gererator again with engine in situ. :idea: :idea:
Robert

I've got the cool air one in mine and it is ok.

I fitted mine with the engine in situ - I would;t do it again that way (I swore a LOT whilst fitting it). Far to much of a ball ache and much easier when the engine is out.

J.

Struggling to undo the generator stand nuts, do you have to remove the manifold?

I didn't, but I did remove the fuel pump, carb, dizzy and skin, plus I picked up some extra grey hairs!, a job that should be easy but drove me :evil:

Latest posts