Bottle Jack adapter…

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wondered if anyone had made something similar to this image. Used on classic 911s and works really well. This kind of idea, with a few design tweeks could enable a bottle jack to be used IMG_8432.jpeg

Not wishing to dampen your fireworks, because bonfire night is indeed impending, But,,, I’m not a big fan of using jacking points nowadays on these old busses. Not that they weren’t great at one time, it’s just that they’re fifty years plus old and replacement jacking points or not, the rest of the chassis is still fifty plus and that does put a heck of a lot of twisting type strain on an old chassis. Yes if you’re absolutely stuck but otherwise I’m under the beam and a bit further in at either end. While we’re on the subject of jacking, has anybody noticed the modern high lift telescopic hydraulic jacks have got a bent plate on the bottom and not flat? I thought I’d bought a pup when I first noticed it on a brand new Webber jack.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, I really like the idea though :)

Maybe a cup to locate on top of the bottle jack, with a U shape welded on top to locate on a beam, or cross member?

I’m stashing this bottlejack under the bench seat in case I get a flat and need to change a wheel. I don’t trust the original style jack

I have a bottle jack in the gas cupboard, carry a square wooden pad for it to sit on and a rubber hockey puck with a slight drilled indentation to locate on top of bottle jack. Used it once to change a rear on a campsite, under the strengthened beam to outrigger section. Worked a treat 👍

Last edited:
I have a bottle jack in the gas cupboard, carry a square wooden pad for it to sit on and a rubber hockey puck with a slight drilled indentation to locate on top of bottle jack. Used it once to change a rear on a campsite. Worked a treat 👍
I use a rubber hockey puck on the trolley jack.
That’s a good idea, thanks.
I’ll get another and drill a location hole as you suggest 👍

In my garage, when I’m using my trolley jack, I use an old motorcycle tyre cut into three or four inch strips. I slide this onto my beam either for the jack or for the axle stands . Where it is really helpful is when you slide the tyre sections to each end , they get caught on the grease nipples so you don’t crack them off with your stands.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,, I do all sorts of weirdy stuff :)

We always jack under the strengthener where the front or rear outrigger meets the main chassis leg, its far stronger and you have less height to jack, never on the jacking points

I have a bottle jack on my 71 bus and jack up from the chassis. Even though I replaced all my jacking pions and outriggers.

I use the same puck for bottle and trolley, just flip it over so the hole is on the bottom of the cup when using trolley jack 👍

I normally use either a bottle jack or trolley jack on the chassis/outrigger joint like others on here. However, on the occasion that I had a puncture, I found that the bottle jack that I normally take with me is too high to get under the chassis with a flat tyre. I also have the original jack that fits into the outrigger that I used to jack up the bus to change the tyre.

I normally use either a bottle jack or trolley jack on the chassis/outrigger joint like others on here. However, on the occasion that I had a puncture, I found that the bottle jack that I normally take with me is too high to get under the chassis with a flat tyre. I also have the original jack that fits into the outrigger that I used to jack up the bus to change the tyre.
That’s a really good point!
I haven’t checked the bottle jack will fit when the tyre is flat…..
I think it will! 🤞

That’s a really good point!
I haven’t checked the bottle jack will fit when the tyre is flat…..
I think it will! 🤞
Not just that, but check it out front and rear too for good measure. If you get snookered you might need to drive up on your levelling blocks before you get that jack into action.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,try a few eventualities :)

Latest posts