Brake Drum Recommendations?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walt

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Couple of Brake related queries:

Rear...
Last service had the rear bearings done & also wanted the shoes changing; Was informed that rear drums were starting to oval, so was advised no point in fitting the new shoes. Either get the drums skimmed (temporary solution) or buy some new ones. So tried the usual suspects (JK, CoolAir, C&C, etc), but no joy.

Everyone is out of stock, apart from Heritage who have CSP ones for 184 each(ouch!) Seem to remember a few years back you could get a kit of 2xCSP rear drums for around £275, and that felt expensive then?
Is it just me, (and I know these are CSP prices) but are these just mega-expensive? That's like £370 for a pair.

Front...
Got an advisory on the MOT for the Nearside front brake; Again already bought new shoes, but was looking for a full refurb kit which included the front drums/shoes/cylinders etc. Again these don't seem to be listed by anyone anymore.

Just looking for Bay front drums:
- C&C have them at 150, but on the Bay window Parts page it's showing a drum labelled for a Split?
- Heritage are 112; But it also says that this is for a Split, but can be used on a Bay with a "conversion hub seal".
- JK are 124, and the item looks like the Split one aswell?

So, in short...
- Anyone recently bought any rear/front drums, or have any advice/recommendations where to get them?

Right now I'm considering getting the rear CSP drums as these look like the only option in stock; For the front I'm still undecided.

Thanks,
Steve

So just found that Cool Air have both Front and Rear refurb kits listed which include drums, but they both out of stock.

I'll call them tomorrow.

Very early bays have a different rain lip on the drum/backplate the same as split but a split rear drum will not fit without machining down the splined bit as its longer going over the drive shaft.

I have a pair of used rear drums if you are interested. They are Brazilian of unknown age. They were ok but I replaced everything on the rear brakes a few years ago, including the drums.

I have a pair of used rear drums if you are interested. They are Brazilian of unknown age. They were ok but I replaced everything on the rear brakes a few years ago, including the drums.

Thanks Mike - Really appreciate the offer;

Think I'm now going to do what you did and replace the lot.

Go for CSP, as said they are worth the cash and the quality is perfect, ive recently done mine and they are goooood!

Thanks Mike - Really appreciate the offer;

Think I'm now going to do what you did and replace the lot.
I also used CSP drums to replace the brazza drums. They were £300 for the pair (with £25 off for a special offer) in 2019. I found they were very tight to get on the splines. I probably should have filed the drums a bit to make it easier to slide them on. However as others have said they look very good quality.