Brake fluid leak

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shavey

Reaction score
Hi,
I found a leaking brake cylinder on one of the front wheels. So I will replace this with a new one and will the change the set of shoes on both sides.
After some advice -
I will clean/degrease the drum, what about the springs and other parts as the brake fluid seems to have mixed with the bearing grease.
Whats the best degreaser to use, something like Junk?
Should I also change the wheel bearing seal?
Should I change both cylinders?

Plus, any useful do's and don'ts would be a great help.

Thanks

Get a spray can of brake cleaner which will wash off all the crap which you should collect by placing a cloth underneath. Throw this away it may contain asbestos - even the latest stuff isn't good for you.

I would only change the defective cylinder but dismantle & inspect the other - look for scored bore or knackered seals. Get some brake grease (ebay) & use this during assembly of internal rubber components - I would also do this with the new one.

May as well change the bearing seal while you're at it.

Don't forget to clean inside of drums before final fit.

That's what I'd do. If you're not sure with anything get help or ask here. These are brakes.

Phil.

Good advise about checking the new cylinder. I had three badly machined cylinders when I replaced the whole braking system and had to get them exchanged before fitting. Definitely strip the new ones and clean them out. They usually have metal particles inside that wreck the seals, unless you purchase a GOOD quality cylinder but expect to pay about £50 for one.

I would use green gunk degreaser, it is bio friendly and you can add water to it. (I recommend warm/hot water)
The gunk degreaser will clean the grease off and the water will neutralise the brake blood.
Being bio friendly it not bad for health.
Once all that is done I would wife the contact surface of the drum with brake cleaner.

Latest posts