Brake part needed & where does them????

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fraggle

Reaction score
Just pulled off my rear drums today as wasn't happy with brakes and also noticed a fluid leak.

Discovered a leaking cyllinder but also the fact that the sprung metal tabs that rest against the star adjusters are missing....well actually there was only one, the rest had snapped off and were nowhere to be seen.

My brakes kept needing adjusting so this would explain why!!!!

My bus is a 68 and has the flat sort of slide in sprung matal tab thing if you know what the hell I'm on about???

I managed to knock out the remaining one so it looks promising that a replacement just slides in with a few taps of a hammer. It is located at the very bottom of the adjuster housing.

Does anyone know where sells these as I can't find them anywhere.

Anyone had the same experience and want to share tips etc....any help much appreciated.

Thanks, Fraggle 8)

Found this on Heritage site but it says 70 and on- (page 30 part numer 6)

http://www.vwheritage.com/vwh/%5Fcatalogues/download/T2/Pages%201-39.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It looks the same???

Also, a wheel cyllinder ATE type is £40!!!!! What's ATE and why's that?

Those little spring tabs are what make the adjusters 'click' as you alter them and I suppose they were there to stop the brakes self adjusting as well. However mine have been missing for the last 15 years or so without any adverse effects. The adjusters are stiff enough to hold the setting. Unfortunately they are part of the brake shoe bottom mounting which is in turn part of the back plate so if you really want some originals, new backplates are the only answer. If you are inventive you might be able to make a little piece of spring steel and insert it under the crimped lugs on the brake shoe post or you might find some intact ones on some rusty back plates. Good luck!
There are plenty of pattern wheel cylinders about at much lower prices, genuine ATE, the original supplier, might be nice but bound to be more expensive. As an alternative Past Parts could supply you with the seals to rebuild yours. Try their website http://www.pastparts.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm missing the tabs on the front drums of our van, haven't really considered it to be a problem as the brakes don't seem to have gone out of adjustment.

Just spoke to Heritage (totally patronising and 'the catalogue says') not very helpful!!! :evil:

Infact.........computer says NO!

So,

Can anyone help? My adjusters move very freely as all new and greased up but undo just as easily!

i think there are three revisions, Clarkson posted a great pic of the differences, ill see if i can find it or he might post it again :D

These what you mean

68Bay.jpg

This pic is of a stock '68 setup and has no springs they fell of before we got it and the adjusters never undid in practice.

LateBay.jpg

This pic is of a post '76 setup. The differences are apparent.

The 3rd combination is just the post '76 version with automatic adjusters and was fitted to some very late bays and all type 25's

Clarkson46 - cheers for the pics man. My brakes are the same as the first pic.

I had another look tonight as I found out the length of the springs sold by heritage (6cm) by using their online q&a link on their website. It was good and someone was there to help within a minute of logging on. 8) Well done heritage!

Anyway,

I remembered that I have some late beetle backing plates in my garage and measued those also....they are also 6cm and look the same as the diagram from heritage. I then offered them up to my backing plate and guess what..............?

The spring is only slightly too long but will fit! :D

A little crimping of the end further down and I recon they'll fit a treat so I will be ordering two new springs tomorrow....worth a try at least!

The guy at heritage said that the spring was flat and wouldn't reach as you need to bend them upwards as in the second pic for late brakes but as mine are early the adjuster housing is flat like a bug. I recon 6cm should also with a little bending fit the late adjuster also. Can't understand why he said the spring wouldn't fit really?? Oh well :?

I'll post up when I've done the deed to say if it was sucessful or not so fingers crossed for saturday.

Cheers and Fraggle 'out'!

Latest posts