Brake pedal travel increased when driving

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orr_niall

Reaction score
Hi all, had the van out for a sunshine run this morning, did about 20miles and all great. However on the way home the brake pedal travel dramatically increased.
Slightly scary as thought initially they had gone completely but with more pressure the van does still stop ok just a lot more travel now in the pedal.
I am running standard drums all round. They were recently refurbished about 200 miles ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are they dragging and heating the brake fluid? Feel the wheels after a drive and see if they are hot

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Coupled with the above, if your fluid is old it could be moisture boiling off and creating gas pockets which will have the same effect.

When was it last changed?

check you have free play on pedal as that can cause brakes to bind and heat fluid and check brakes not over adjusted as well

There is free play. Topped up the fluid, was down about half way. Seems to be ok now, not as stiff as was a few weeks ago but no longer foot to the floor either.
Checked the wheels after a drive and no heat.
Will let the mechanic have a look at the drums in next few weeks also just to be sure

Latest posts